Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into trying these baits and was wondering if anyone has expirence with them. I was really liking the looks and action of the Castaic Platinum Series. Also what rod would you recommend when throwing these. I can't wait to try it out on the wipers.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use the Castiac's and the 5" Storm baits alot for pike fishing. I switch to my 7' MH trigger stick to throw them. You need a rod with some backbone, they are kind of cumberson to throw all day!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had pretty good luck casting them while drifting but they seem best when trolling them and occasionally giving a varying speed presentation by picking the rod up out of the holder and letting them drop then picking it back up. Sometimes I open the bail and let the spool go free for a second or two. I really like the storm 3" rainbow trout version with the dorsal hook as well as the treble hook that hangs from below. I have caught lots of trout, wipers and some smallie with those. As well the white shad with the black dot and the pronounced latteral line has worked well lately. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've caught quite a few bass and pike on swimbaits during the last two years. I like the Storm Wildeyes -- they catch a lot of fish and they're priced right. As far as techniques go, I like to cast out and let the bait sink to the bottom, then reel the bait in with a slow to moderate speed while lightly twitching the rod tip to give the bait some action.

Just about every bass I've caught on it at the lakes and ponds I fish have been good-size, usually over 15", including my largest bass ever -- 23 inches, 7 pounds.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I also like the 4" Walleye Assasin baits on a the Matzuo fish heads. Allows you to use a light weight and keep it swimming just above the rocks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts