Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to all who contributed on the other swimbait thread I started - unfortunately it was deleted...

Anways, George was kind enough to hook up a Cardiff 400A for me, and I was just looking for some input on a rod pairing.

I plan on throwing baits from 1-4oz typically - and budget is around $250 at the max.

Some rods I've considered are;

G.Loomis GL2, Shimano Crucial, St Croix Mojo Bass, BPS Muskie rod

Thoughts or suggestions are certainly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
T.Weezy said:
Thank you to all who contributed on the other swimbait thread I started - unfortunately it was deleted...

Anways, Hogmaster was kind enough to hook up a Cardiff 400A for me, and I was just looking for some input on a rod pairing.

I plan on throwing baits from 1-4oz typically - and budget is around $250 at the max.

Stay away from BPS the Mojo or G.Loois will out preform the others.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HOGMASTER said:
T.Weezy said:

Anways, Hogmaster was kind enough to hook up a Cardiff 400A for me, and I was just looking for some input on a rod pairing.

Stay away from BPS the Mojo or G.Loois will out preform the others.
Noted - thoughts on the Crucial?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Slimer, no more picking fights with the Hogmaster! That last guy got the thread deleted (and made himself look like a fool)

I know you're kidding though :D

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
T.Weezy said:
Hey Slimer, no more picking fights with the Hogmaster! That last guy got the thread deleted (and made himself look like a fool)

I know you're kidding though :D
But I'm not.

As for swimbait rods, I have no input. I own one that I bought from Kenny and made about 50 casts on it at the end of last season before it backlashed. I think it's still messed up...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Out of that list cruical for sure!
Better guides, better blank, more aesthetically appealing.
Gl2 uses alum oxide guides (cheap), also the acs seat (not sure on the swimbait rod) which is love or hate
Mojo is a low end croix made in Mexico.
Bps can be a good value but get a swimbait rod made for swimbaits.
Check out the phenix 7'11mh 1-5
South is talking about a dobyns btw. I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Here's what I throw, custom made light and schweeeeet! Got a spiral guide, I reel lefty. This thing rocks. I've busted up Shimanos, haven't used a St Croix, threw my elbow out usin it, it can send a SB along ways. 2oz. That's Kurtis's former rod in the pic too, my seats a little longer, they were both built same time.

Blank: Phenix USB-711ML-B $139.00 tip 5.5

Tip top: TMNST6(5.5) 13.99
Stripper guide: TLCSG8 13.29
Transition guide 1: TLSG7j 5.04
Transition guide 2: TLSG6j 4.54
Running guides: TLSG5.5j running guides 4.54 x8 $36.32

Cork rings: 2.50 per 1/2 inch x 18 $45

reel seat: Fuji ECSM 3.34

Winding checks, hook keeper, adhesive, thread, guide finish, consumables....etc $25
split shipping cost $10

labor $85 ($75 standard, $10 for custom seat and handle work)

$380.52 for the total.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/koldkutspecial/swimbait.jpg

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Marks rod has top of the line guides and cork on it so you could save some money there.
That's oyey's rod on the bottom (also 1-3oz)
For a custom phenix he is looking right at $300 or a bit more even with a little cheaper components. So I think custom is out.
If he decided to really get into swimbait then yeah look into it for sure but save a few $$$ for baits as the rod and reel and no good without a few baits. :D

Bet you love that rod mark! 1-3 is nice in that range and it slings baits far without trying too hard.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have a Crucial 711XH for the big stuff, and I like it really well. Not to say that there is not better out there, but I would gladly get more. Great stick for the price.

I must say, for less expensive rods, Okuma really got them right. Great actions, and something that I think is very important in a swimbait rod...

A long handle!

Any rod that is targeted at swimbait duty without a long handle is a joke, and it's on you.

SS

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
colonative said:
Here's what I throw, custom made light and schweeeeet! Got a spiral guide, I reel lefty. This thing rocks. I've busted up Shimanos, haven't used a St Croix, threw my elbow out usin it, it can send a SB along ways. 2oz. That's Kurtis's former rod in the pic too, my seats a little longer, they were both built same time.

Blank: Phenix USB-711ML-B $139.00 tip 5.5

Tip top: TMNST6(5.5) 13.99
Stripper guide: TLCSG8 13.29
Transition guide 1: TLSG7j 5.04
Transition guide 2: TLSG6j 4.54
Running guides: TLSG5.5j running guides 4.54 x8 $36.32

Cork rings: 2.50 per 1/2 inch x 18 $45

reel seat: Fuji ECSM 3.34

Winding checks, hook keeper, adhesive, thread, guide finish, consumables....etc $25
split shipping cost $10

labor $85 ($75 standard, $10 for custom seat and handle work)

$380.52 for the total.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/koldkutspecial/swimbait.jpg
Only one rod that I've built has been more expensive than this one, and it was my own, and now Oyey's. I was going to build myself the same rod Mark, but with the new Fury's weighing in at 3oz, I'm leaning towards building myself the heavier 1-5oz rod.

Boondock said:
Marks rod has top of the line guides and cork on it so you could save some money there.
That's oyey's rod on the bottom (also 1-3oz)
For a custom phenix he is looking right at $300 or a bit more even with a little cheaper components. So I think custom is out.
If he decided to really get into swimbait then yeah look into it for sure but save a few $$$ for baits as the rod and reel and no good without a few baits. :D

Bet you love that rod mark! 1-3 is nice in that range and it slings baits far without trying too hard.
I saw his budget for a rod and sent him a PM since he wasn't far off the custom rod mark, and the Phenix factory swimbait rods are cheaper than a custom, if you can find them, and BPS doesn't have them.

I'll agree with most folks here, stay away from the muskie rods. It sounds like the Crucial would be a good rod, but like I said in a PM, I know nothing about the factory sticks.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Shaun Solomon said:
I have a Crucial 711XH for the big stuff, and I like it really well. Not to say that there is not better out there, but I would gladly get more. Great stick for the price.

I must say, for less expensive rods, Okuma really got them right. Great actions, and something that I think is very important in a swimbait rod...

A long handle!

Any rod that is targeted at swimbait duty without a long handle is a joke, and it's on you.

SS
this ^^^^^

the fulcrum created by the length of the butt is all the difference between an easy day of tossing shows and working your arse off and it not being as FUN!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shaun Solomon said:

A long handle!

SS

Nice - thanks for your input, I'm a big Shimano fan, so good to hear about the Crucial

1 - 16 of 16 Posts