Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there are any guys on here who consistently use a switch rod for trout here in Colorado. I did a little switch nymphing and fly swinging for trout this fall...but I was more doing it to practice my cast for a trip to the PNW.

I find myself grabbing the switch rod if I am just wanting to throw some line for fun...but if I actually want to catch fish I am taking out my single hander.

Note that I am not trying to start a war on which most awesome, I just wanted to know if there is anyone who fishes their switch rod a lot with good success (perhaps even prefers it to a single handed rod for CO trout).

...I guess when you get down to it though; trout, like steelhead, will be caught more often with a single hander dredging nymphs...

Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a Beulah 10'6 4/5 weight that I fished quite a bit this year, I really enjoy it. It's hard to learn spey casting with switch rods though, I think they're a little short and less forgiving...

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Once I get the rod done being built, I've got a 11'6" SAGE Method Switch 6wt I will be using, I'm not sure if it will work for nymphing as It's a 6wt, but I'll try it and see how it works.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you tend towards traditional overhead casts and nymphing with it?
On the river I spey or roll cast it pretty much all the time, on the lake for bass I overhand cast it most of the time with streamers or poppers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had an 11 ft 6wt switch I got for deep indicator nymphing in lakes. Figured it would help lift and cast that long leader. It may have helped a little, but I found it to be a big, clunky thing to wield. Took a bit of the joy out of fly fishing. I probably didn't give it much of a chance, but replaced it with a 9 1/2 Sage VXP that works about as well and feels more like a real fly rod.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my Beulah 5/6. I cut the butt off and put on a quick thread to turn it into a true single hander/switch. Supper versatile, light enough to cast dry flies without the butt, burly enough to pick up, toss and swing a "Sex Dungeon" accross the Colorado with the butt. Great for high wind still-water too. Check out Saggit Style- spey casting. Been having fun experimenting with it on our "little" rivers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That should be fun! I want a real spey rod now that I've gotten the hang of spey casting with the switch rod. I think a 4 or 5 weight spey would be a lot of fun on our bigger rivers like the Colorado, Ark, Roaring Fork, etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That should be fun! I want a real spey rod now that I've gotten the hang of spey casting with the switch rod. I think a 4 or 5 weight spey would be a lot of fun on our bigger rivers like the Colorado, Ark, Roaring Fork, etc.
That was my main reason for the 6 wt. It will be mostly used for bigger rivers here for trout with the occasional PNW summer run.

6 wt for throwing big streamers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use a Beulah Elixir with a clear slow-sink tip

·
Registered
177 Posts
What lines and tips has everyone been throwing lately? Anyone try an oversized fly line yet?
Currently using a Rio Switch Chucker. Problem with using a 2/3 wt overline single line on a switch/spey is normally the head length is too long to accommodate spey casts. Normally rule of thumb for head length is no more than 3X rod length +/-.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts