Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've enjoyed the threads about different lures and colors. My question is: which lures do you use a swivel with and which do you tie straight to the line?? Does anyone have a general rule? I've found some but very few lures that tell you on the package.

It sure is easier to change lures with a swivel, but I've noticed some lures don't seem to produce fish unless tied directly to the line.

Any thoughts or experiences?

M

·
0 Posts
I don't use a swivel that regularly with lures. A lot of times, I'll intentionally use a small lure and most swivels that are going to be effective with it end up being the same size or bigger than the lure. Not sure how the fish feel about it but my thoughts are if I spend $5 on a lure because of it's color and action, I don't want to overwelm it with a 29 cent swivel.

I also have the convenience of straightening the line by trailing it behind the boat when I'm done :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I usually don't use swivels. I've found that unless you spend the big bucks for high quality ball bearing swivels such as Sampo, they don't actually work in the water to reduce line twist.

I'f I'm using plastics or certain crankbaits, I'll tie directly to the lure but in many cases, I just buy a small snap-lock clip without the swivel on it and tie this to the line. Since it's small, the fish don't seem to care about it and it makes lures easy to change.

L

·
0 Posts
Snap locks on lures that don't have a split rings. Never a swivel. I also tie a loop knot or a "rapala knot" instead of directly to the lure like with a cinch knot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I primarily use them when fishing in-line spinners but not all the time. I do notice more line twist without but I have never lost a fish to weakend line.....weak knots yes...but line...never so far......great just jinxed myself....

Pondfisher

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I use swivels almost all the time, they tend to slow down line twist but I have never seen one completely stop it on lures that twist and turn.

I also like them because it is so much easier to switch set ups with snap swivels than constantly retying.

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Dan said:
I use swivels almost all the time, they tend to slow down line twist but I have never seen one completely stop it on lures that twist and turn.

I also like them because it is so much easier to switch set ups with snap swivels than constantly retying.
I agree with Dan on that (come to think of it, I generally do) with one exception, there are certain Rapala lures where they specifically say don't use a snap swivel or you will hurt the action, use a Rapala knot instead, so I do what they say. But I much prefer to be able to clip on one lure after another without retying every time.

When attaching a mono or fluoro leader to braided line, I sometimes put a swivel (with no snap) between the two, but I have no evidence that this really helps anything.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
When attaching a mono or fluoro leader to braided line, I sometimes put a swivel (with no snap) between the two, but I have no evidence that this really helps anything.
I also do this, feel it helps with line twist. At worst it doesnt hurt.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Good post.

I also use swivels, primarily for the convenience factor. Given the number of experienced fisherman I know that don't use them, I sometimes wonder if it affects my success rate. However, changing lures often until you find the pattern seems to be at least as important as how the lure connects to the line and so it is a tradeoff for me. It is also the way I was taught by my grandfather during long trolling sessions in the boat which I'm sure has something to do with it...

I would be interested in any studies that looked at success rates with and without.

L

·
0 Posts
The only reason I don't use swivels on a lure is because I never have used them in that manner, I was always taught to tie knots.I generally don't see pros using swivels in that manner either. I even cut the swivel off bouncers and tie directly to the bouncer. I use barrel swivels (without the snap) when connecting lead core to mono. On braid or fused line for other than trolling, I use a knot to connect to mono/floro leader. On most trolling applications I use a barrel swivel to reduce line twist. I can't really say whether a swivel hurts the action of a bait or not. As far as speed of changing your bait, I can tie most knots nearly as fast as someone can change with a snap swivel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i never use swivel. throws off the aerodynamics on retrieve. and causes ripples that are not supposed to be there when a fish sees it. and gives off funny sound. im a cast n retriever but if you jig. it might be a different story.

or if you fish for pikes and you need to attach steel leader.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I only use snap swivels on in-line spinners or spinner baits. Sometimes I use a cross-link snap with no swivel, just to make changing lures easier. But, most of the time I tie directly on to jigs, hardbaits, Carolina and Texas rigs, etc. with a Rapala knot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts