Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything about Sylvan Lake outside of Eagle? We have a cabin rented the weekend of the 12th. Haven't seen it listed on the DOW fishing report but it was last year?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sylvan is a beautiful little lake. I've fished it several times and several ways. If you have a belly boat - take it. The lake has rainbows and brookies in it. I've caught them on flies and lures from my belly boat and from shore and I've done bait fishing from shore. I've never caught anything really big, but have seen several decent fish caught on bait.

The campground could have more trees, but it's really a beautiful setting. You might want to check out the visitors center while you're there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fished Sylvan lake three times last year, once in August and twice in early October.  Trolling small Kamlooper lures, behind a small raft, netted a limit of Rainbow trout in an hour during August.  The fish were 12-14 inches long. Bank fisherman were also doing well.
      During October the lures were not as effective but a slowly retrieved Black Wooly Bugger worked well. 
     Sylvan being a State Park has extensive rules on boating.  Don't forget your whistle!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have fished sylvan several times, it is on of my favorite remote little lakes.  Lots and lots of fish.  Most of them stockers, but ther are a few fatties I have pulled in. 

If you get out on the water at all, like Jibber said, a black wolly bugger slowly pulled kicks @$$!  So does a yellow or chartruse color panther martin or equal.  If you do shore fishing, the lures aren't as effective, but make sure and buy 20 or so jars of rainbow green and orange power bait, becuase they will not leave your pole alone.  You will barely have time to sit it down.

I prefer the shore fishing out there because the action is so much more consistant, but a nice cruise around the lake is always a great way to relax.  If you do not have a boat to take, they do rent out canoes and paddle boats at the guards station.  Also, there are quite a few little Beaver ponds in the stream that flows in/out of the lake.  Awesome brookie action back in those areas, some of which are in the park itself.  A short little walk and you are in trout heaven.

Only problem is that there are neighborhoods going up all over around there.  The lake will most likely be packed with resedential locals. 

Good luck, try to take pics and let us know how you do!

Tight lines

The Fiend

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Jipa73 - The state parks website indicates the ice came off around April 25th so the fishing should be really, really good on the 12th.  Fish should still be cruzing pretty close to shore.  I might hit it up in the within the next week and will post a report if I go.   I caught a 10+ lb brown out of there last year just after ice off.  There are some big fish in there if you can weed through the smaller ones.  Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Dand rip lip, that is a beast! I have caught some big ones out there, but havent ever heard of anything that nice! What did you land him on?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your posts they all really help. I fished Sylvan once about 5 years ago and did well but have been back since. They used to list Sylvan on the fishing report but I haven't seen it this year. Anyway thanks again to all of you and DAMN!!!!!!!!!! thats a hugh Brown! Fish on Brothas!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am thinking about camping up there also, but I don't know how steep the road is or how hard it is to get to the lake, as I have an older, 1970s RV and don't know if it can handle it. Any thing would help.

Thanks,

·
0 Posts
We were up there Memorial weekend and they had a huge hatch of bugs coming off. The road is just a regular dirt road.

·
Registered
991 Posts
about_trout said:
I am thinking about camping up there also, but I don't know how steep the road is or how hard it is to get to the lake, as I have an older, 1970s RV and don't know if it can handle it. Any thing would help.

Thanks,
You should have no problem. The road isn't all that steep and it's pretty easy to get into the lake.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah you won't have any problems. I saw one of those tour bus type motor homes up there while I was there. The fishing was great and the senery is very relaxing! I caught a 14 Brown on a original black rapala and 6 rainbows of average size on various spinners and Kastmasters. Fish!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts