Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondering what you guys use as far as tackle bags . Im on the move alot and try to carry as much tackle as possible . I usually use a plain old back pack with different 4 small tackle boxes ...and I use all the pockets for my plastic's . Does anyone use some of the tackle bags on the market ? if so which company's and which model ?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Over the years I find myself carrying less tackle. I still have the real big bag from BPS that holds 100 lbs. of tackle ;D but now I mostly just carry some skirted jigs, some senkos and tubes, a few cranks and some terminal stuff-hooks, bullet weights, etc. in a small bag.

I know the idea of carrying everything under the sun is that you will always have the lure that the fish are looking for but I believe that having too much stuff can get in the way. I find if I concentrate on a few lures that will work the surface, the mid depths and the bottom, I have all I need.

I had a guy fish with me a few times who guided on Pueblo ( sounds kind of funny, huh)-his boat was in the shop so I took him out. He showed up with a tackle bag that was the biggest I've ever seen-he almost needed help just picking it up. We fished the whole day and we only threw jerks and tubes. I think that bag slowed my boat down a little. ::)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im totally that way I just hate getting into a situation and knowing that I own a lure that is needed at the time but dont have it with me . The only time I dont carry alot of tackle is when im fishing a body of water im very familiar with . Fishing the big thompson I carry 2 colorado's 2 thomas boyants 2 rapala's and 2 panther martins

·
Registered
324 Posts
i have a nice little bag that holds 4 of thoose 12x8(i think)plastic cases it also has two side pockets one has extra line the other holds any bait i might want to use and one that streches the whole front side really good for a map.disposible rain poncho,and pliers. i beleive its a plano and total size is about 18x18 small but fits alot and easy to carry and fish at the same time.

·
Registered
16,848 Posts
if I'm on foot,I use a b-pack with a lake-specific collection of tackle.Always got some flies and bubbles,kasty's,bouyants,couple rapalas,a few twisters,tubes.A lot depends on where I'm fishing,i.e; if I know the water or not. In the boat,I always bring a bit more stuff.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have a bag that holds 4 bigger trays and 2 smaller trays. the bigger ones fold most of my lures one for plastics one for spinnerbaits one for plugs one for jigs the smaller ones i keep spinners and spoons in. the bag also has pockets which i keep terminal tackle pliers bait in

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use plano soft side tackle bags. I have one that holds 5 of the 3700 plastics cases, one tackle logic bag with all the different wraps (canvas and fishing tackle get really heavy togather), and a small bag to use if I'm walking alot. most of the time I just load up the vest with what I think will work on that day and hit the water.

·
Registered
864 Posts
meandmydog said:
i have a nice little bag that holds 4 of thoose 12x8(i think)plastic cases it also has two side pockets one has extra line the other holds any bait i might want to use and one that streches the whole front side really good for a map.disposible rain poncho,and pliers. i beleive its a plano and total size is about 18x18 small but fits alot and easy to carry and fish at the same time.
I have the exact bag and i like it i can carry everything that i have right now in it
its got 4 seperators so....it works good for now

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
ok after hearing you guys say what you have i think i have a problem ;D

i have 3 flambeau 5005 bags and one other small bag
and the 3 are full of stuff
one has all my soft plastics and hooks and weights
second one has all my lures
third one has all my catfishing stuff
the small bag has extra weights

ok i think i have a problem i might need to get some help

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
ok fishingkats I think I got you beat. I redid my back seat in My boat. It now holds 35 8x 16 plano trays and every one is so full the dont close to well.

Got to love clearences elies and bins !!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i was 12, i got this BPS tackle bag for x-mas that had room for a 6 pack...of coke, and 4 tackle organizer things and i loved it! i used it up until last april when it finally fell apart, the only downside to the bag was that i was at leadville and i took one of my boxes out of it and it was so windy my bag blew into the lake, by the time i could react it wa out of reach, also the water was frigid, so i just waited patiently and picked ity up on the other side ;D so they are lightweight

now i have a planno 777 i think is the model and it holds everything, so i am never oin the water without something i might need, the downside is it gets a little heavy so i have to switch hands on a hike to a fishing spot

when i know the area really well, i just load my fly vvest with stuff so im lightweight

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
but the funny thing is thats just bags i still have two suitcase ones that just hold string but i didnt add those

because were only talking about bags heheheehehehe

·
Registered
121 Posts
i personally use a fishing vest.  i carry everything i need except trolling lures.  those i have in a rubber made hard side tackle box.  my wife also carries a vest the only differance is that all her box's are labaled.  also for you guys who fish the back as the water is lowered in the lakes do you look for lures that were lost.  we do i spend the winter months fixing them i gie most to my daughter to use except for the trolling and rapales those i keep for myself i have stocked my entire tackle box with repaired lures.  in fact my wifes largest fish was caught ona lure i found and later fixed

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
fg,

As previously mentioned, I like the tackle boxes with separate storage trays like this one from Cabela's:

I keep most of my tackle in it, but then I have a small tackle box that I can take with me when I am not using the boat. I like the separate trays since they help keep things organized better and can be taken out so that switching among a variety of lures is easy. I use the pockets for soft plastics, too. I see that Cabela's now makes a waterproof version of this bag and I think it would be even better. I have had water collect in my bag due to heavy rains while out in the boat. Here are the storm proof versions:

Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I started out with a Flambeau hard plastic tackle box that's half the size of a washing machine, full of little drawers and compartments and storage boxes everywhere. Fully loaded it weighed around 70 lb.

Then I retired it in favor of the Super Magnum (non-stormproof) as work2fish illustrated above. Except it is from the original manufacturer, not with the Cabelas brand added to it. Then I decided I didn't trust the latches on the eight 3700-size storage boxes, so I jerked them all out and replaced them with Plano Pro-Lok boxes. So far I am pretty happy with the arrangement. Just switching from the hard box to the bag took quite a few pounds off the load.

But sometimes I just like to go out with the ultralight and it makes no sense to lug a ton of tackle along, especially if it's a long walk to the water. So then I got a little plastic 1-tray conventional tackle box for the ultralight.

Then it overflowed. So I got a plastic 3-tray box. Now it's clear full of little jigs and spinners, etc. but I am trying to hold the line where it is on that one.

Come to think of it, I have more old empty tackle boxes under foot than I do full ones right now, and I don't know what to do with them, except maybe take them down to the local Goodwill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fishinguitars said:
I just wondering what you guys use as far as tackle bags . Im on the move alot and try to carry as much tackle as possible . I usually use a plain old back pack with different 4 small tackle boxes ...and I use all the pockets for my plastic's . Does anyone use some of the tackle bags on the market ? if so which company's and which model ?
I got lucky and bought a really nice High Sierra Back-Pack at a Garage Sale this Summer for fine bucks it works great for me. I use plano tackel boxes 6 1/2x4x2, for all my smaller lures,weights,swifels,hooks,flys,e.t.c. I can use both sides of the box which is really great I can tack all my stuf with me you never know what you need out there. I got four of them in my Back-Pack ;D insteat of eight or more,and the price was right to $1.99 or $2.99 maybe$1.59 @ Walmart.And I have two bigger ones 14x9x2 one for my Musckie Lures,the other one for all the other stuf you need.Yha,the small ones rock big time for me.And I still got two more Plano Tackel Boxes full with more Stuf in my Garage. :D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
ok i think i have a problem             i might need to get some help
Its ok FishingKats, you are among friends here.  We all understand your problem,  we all have it some degree or another.

Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man, this issue has been bugging me for years...first it was as a backpacker/rockclimber....trying out different rucksacks and gear racks....then (and now) it was work: I have a zillion empty toolboxes that I once had to have....and now its fishing tackle. I am happy with my fly fishing gear (vest and backpack) but I had to go through two different shoulder bags to get there. My spinning gear is in a cheap plastic 3 tray box that I like, but I can't seem to carry rod, box, net AND coffee cup.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
My two cents on baggage: What you carry should be 100% determined by what kind of fishing you are doing.

If fishing by boat I don't mind bringing the kitchen sink. But slugging it out on shore (which is a large part of my fishing) I go as light as possible. My gear covers a wide variety of water with some of my favorite rigs. It all weighs 5 pounds not including the water bottles.

The bag is a Plano "Outdoor Series" and one of the smaller bags out there under 20 bucks. Slung over the shoulder I can access it without taking it off and setting it down. The weight is not centered like a backpack which makes the shoulder bag not as comfortable IMO.

This is my bassin' setup with trout gear included. I have other boxes with rat-l traps, cranks, spinnerbaits, and other junk that I can toss in if needed. If I'm strictly going for trout, the "T" stuff goes in a fanny pack.

Definately more stuff than I can throw in a day but this is all gear I use off and on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts