Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was going to be started sooner or later so here it goes. What will be the best lures to bring on Saturday?

Also is there a good place to buy suckers in Granby at 7 in the morning? If not where?

Also I have two laker rod set ups. One is a 30" med action rod the other is a shorter heavier action rod. I have my baitcasting reels on them with 12lb test. Is this overkill? I would hate to loose a lunker.

I can't wait to catch one. You all say "I caught little ones in the 16-22 inch range" If I catch a 20" laker I will scream and cry tears of joy.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
White tube jigs, white tube jigs, white tube jigs. I would bring some in different sizes, but dont just limit yourself to tube jigs... Thats just a great starting lure.

If you can buy frozen suckers at a local shop it will probably be cheaper then buying them up at Granby. (I've never been to Granby but the guy up by Twin Lakes charges alot more then here in the Springs)

D

·
0 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
Also is there a good place to buy suckers in Granby at 7 in the morning? If not where?
Budget Tackle in Granby opens at 6:00 on Saturdays. They carry sucker meat and all kinds of jigs. Nice people, too. Right on the main street through Granby, on the right hand side, a block or two past the 7-11..

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't know if I'll make it with my bad back, but bring some glow (luminescent) white tubes. 2-1/2" to 4". You can usually find them at S.W. at the tube display wall on the east wall of the store (84th ave). Get tube jigs ( the slender ones that fit well inside, without busting your tube out). Get different weights, or sizes that fit well in your tube selection. Go with someone who has electronics. Go with someone who has electronics. Go with someone who has electronics!!!!!!!!! And lastly, go with someone who has electronics.
                                                                         Dan

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go with someone who has electronics. Go with someone who has electronics. Go with someone who has electronics!!!!!!!!! And lastly, go with someone who has electronics.
In that case will people be willing to share their electronics info with the rest of us?

·
Registered
90 Posts
We had decent success at Granby with tube jigs and sucker meat last weekend. I think I used a 3 - 3.5" green(ish) tube jig with about a 2-3" strip of sucker meat. I didn't land anything huge, but it worked.

I love Granby. I wish I would be able to make it out there for the get together.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
DanDANthefisherman said:
I don't know if I'll make it with my bad back,
If you can make it to sunset point I would be more then willing to pull your sled out onto the ice for you.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
The help desk will be staffed by someone early and then again around noon. My info says they will be giving very specific advice to people who want to listen.

In my opinion 12lb is not overkill.

L

·
0 Posts
I never use electronics and I have never been skunked patience is key and mix up the jiggin techniques. small sucker piece is better IMO. White 2.5 inch FAT tubes with 3/8 ounce jig head, also charteuse smoke pearl with peper flecks, and glow are the most effective for me. my other pole I picked up whole 4-8 inch whole suckers, #8 trebbles, barrel swivels and slip sinkers 3/8 ounce to dead stick with!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
lunkerlaker, try dead sticking the same tubes you are using tipped with sucker near the bottom. Fish it like 5-6 feet away from the one you are jigging with. Since lakers swim circles around the jigging bait sometimes your other rod will get hit a lot too. Or, if you use tipups, get a windlass tipup and set it so it will jig the tube jig for you!

L

·
0 Posts
I normally fish with 2 tubes but this time I am mixin it up a bit the technique has caught a heck of alot of fish. Hell thats how my buddie won the Granby open water tourney. So I know this method is tried and true. Doesn't seem like it would but my grandfather showed me this when I was a teen and I swear by it now!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have used salt and pepper tube jigs with a piece of suckermeat for the last two years. Never been skunked. Also if the fish werent biting we would shove powerbait into teh tube. We have also had really good success with any small orange or hot pink jigs. Just put a salmon egg or a wax worm on it. And if you really get desperate, sneak out the WD-40. Soak the suckermeat in teh wd-40 adn let it set for a moment. Kick some ice into the hole drop the lure through then scoop the ice back out. (The ice helps remove some of the oil on the surface so that nobody else knows what you did! ;) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts