Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tagged lake trout in these two lakes are a lot more common than you might think. With ice fishing season coming it is likely that some of you may catch some of these fish. Here is some info that might be helpful if you do.

Granby has a number of lake trout that have been caught, tagged, and released over the years.  If you are lucky enough to catch one of the tagged Granby fish, please consider releasing the fish (especially if it's a big fish), note the tag number, the length of the fish, and where you caught it.  If you call Bernie Keefe with the info he can tell you whether his database shows it ever having been caught before, etc.  Bernie's # is 970-531-2318.  His data for Granby is probably better than the DOW's.  Some of the tagged Granby fish have been caught and released up to seven times!

Grand Lake has a new DOW study going on to help determine growth rates of lake trout in that water.  This group of tagged lake trout was released into Grand Lake in the Spring of 2007 at around 16" in length.  If you catch one of the tagged study fish, please leave the tag in place, measure the length of the fish, note the tag number and phone number, and release the fish. Then call John Ewert, the DOW regional biologist in charge of Grand Lake.  His number is 970-725-6214.  We don't have good scientific data on lake trout growth rates in Colorado.  It would be nice to get some, at least for Grand Lake.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Don, great info. I have caught a few, measured them and my dad always calls them in to the DOW. Do the DOW work with Bernie or are there two different studies going on? Are the tagged fish always tagged by anglers or are some netted or shocked? Good thread.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Thanks for the info Don. If I'm lucky enough to ice fish those places and even luckier to catch a big laker, that info will be nice to know.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Batman said:
Don, great info. I have caught a few, measured them and my dad always calls them in to the DOW. Do the DOW work with Bernie or are there two different studies going on? Are the tagged fish always tagged by anglers or are some netted or shocked? Good thread.
I call both.  The DOW's records on Granby fish I don't think are as comprehensive as Bernie's.  And I think Bernie may have access to some other sources of info that DOW doesn't have concerning early years of tagging at Granby.  Years ago there was a lot of tagging done at Granby for which the current DOW records aren't very good, most of it by anglers.  There isn't any tagging being done by anglers any more.

The Grand Lake fish were tagged this Spring by DOW before being released.  I only know about the new Grand Lake study because I caught one of the tagged fish a while back.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
waterfowler said:
Don, if I catch one of the big tagged ones, I really think I should bring it to the DOW office so they can see it for themselves.....

>:D
>:D
I think they'll take your word with a phone call. :)

(I'm back on my meds. ;D)

·
Registered
902 Posts
good info don, once some fish start getting caught and pics taken for reports, we should link to this info in the reports so it gets the traffic it deserves-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. I had a tag that said "colo dow 02307" from last year in one of those bodies of water. I probably won't be checking on it but thought I would mention it in case it sparks interest from someone else. For those looking for tags... they can be very hard to see with the thick algae stuff on them. I bet most are overlooked before and in the interest of a safe and healthy release.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Redleader will be able to log this info in his database... this helps in identifying growth trends in particular bodies of water. Tagged fish are becoming fewer and farther between. Very cool that you caught one and took a measurement.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
the great blue mesa

the bio on bm is now doing electronic implants like you do with a pet, you have to have a reader to even know it was tagged, kind wants to take the public out of the loop for some reason.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
its bm

the bio on bm is now doing electronic implants like you do with a pet, you have to have a reader to even know it was tagged, kind wants to take the public out of the loop for some reason.
its blue mesa prob so its easier to kill the trophies behind the backs of colorado fishermen/women....
sad thing is as much as a person would like to ban gunnison. the school money will make up for money an angler or two doesnt bring to the town.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
#2307, Very cool!!
I'm assuming that was a white tag that would have been tagged in the late 90's. I'm out of town until March and can't access my records but maybe Bernie has some info on this fish. I'll update you later if I have more info for you and send a message to Bernie to see if he has any records on it. That number sounds pretty familiar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts