Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There's this sign that says pine creek and then some other junk around blue mesa dam. Turn there, and follow the dirt road. When you reach the end of the line (you will be able to see when), get out of the car and walk down the nice wooden trailway until you reach the gunnison river. Then you can go downstream or upstream, just don't fish within I believe 100 yards of the dam because it is illegal. It might be 300 yards I forget which. (there will be a sign telling you when you can't go any further) You have to be picky about when you go because sometimes it's tiny and there is no current, perhaps only 100 cfs being let out. Other times it is roaring and you can hardly find a place to stand. You want about 600-1200 cfs for prime fishing. All normal methods of fishing are legal. (of course no minnows west of the continental divide.) I can't remember what the limit is, but that's because I don't keep them anyway. The species are brown trout and rainbow trout mostly, with a few lake trout., If you walk five miles down river you get to morrow point reservoir, which is fairly unknown and lightly fished. It has more lake trout than there are in the river, but still mostly just bows and browns. I suggest you use curly tail grubs and/or drift a nightcrawler for best results. If ya want more info pm me and I'll see what I can do. (BTW: I caught 11 fish down there last year, one of them being a 7 lb. bow. Most of the other fish were browns 15-20")

·
Banned
487 Posts
It was because of the drought that the releases were so low. Normally at the least you have 650 cfs, the average being about 1100 in the winter.
The limit is two trout, and the rainbows have not been as hard hit here as they have in the Gunnison Gorge. Throughout a normal summer day after runoff, flows usually fluctuate between 800 - 2200 cfs within a 24 hour period

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Trout Fishing Bear & Ice In The Veins-I think I've asked this before but is there a website or a phone number where I can find out how much water is being released.  Its a long drive from CS-would help to know before I head out.  Ed

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm not sure on the number, but you can find it by calling information. Call gene taylor's in gunnison. They'll know. Right now they are flushin' that baby, I don't know why either; the reservoir is still low ???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts