Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so here is the situation. Fishing a small tailwater, 13 CFS release. The sight fishing is great. Trout are working, you can see them clearly ignoring everything you throw. 6x, 7x, size 24 emergers, pupa, bead/nobead. Does not matter. They have seen it all and been pestered all week with this nice weather. The fish are just sliding out of the way. Ignoring your best cast, slowly melting away when you flub. You dont see one person land a fish all day on a WEEKDAY! You get two tugs that are spit as soon as it gets in the fishes mouth.. You see it clearly........ Then you see a odd fish with distinct stripes and a pot belly. What is the right fly for targeting a perch in a highly pressured tailwater? Any ideas. Bait is out...

·
Registered
239 Posts
LOL..Don't you just love those situations? Go UGLY. Perch are piscivorous so maybe a 3mm egg followed closely (1.5") by a #6 or #8 Prince. I've fooled many a harassed Cutt at Paco with this insane setup but Perch...?

As you know Perch are Perciforms, like Walleye; making them light sensitive. Maybe try first or last light. I know our best fishing for Perch on Seaman was early morning/late evening(and anytime through the ice). Good luck as it sounds like a fun challenge!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL..Don't you just love those situations? Go UGLY. Perch are piscivorous so maybe a 3mm egg followed closely (1.5") by a #6 or #8 Prince. I've fooled many a harassed Cutt at Paco with this insane setup but Perch...?

As you know Perch are Perciforms, like Walleye; making them light sensitive. Maybe try first or last light. I know our best fishing for Perch on Seaman was early morning/late evening(and anytime through the ice). Good luck as it sounds like a fun challenge!
Yeah, eggs might have worked or maybe something more flashy or maybe a streamer. Unfortunately I paired down the vest to tiny pretty tailwater flies and left the bag of flyboxes at home that trip. But I will be back! The only other time I have caught perch on a fly I was bellyboating on cascade res in ID at the beginning of iceoff. I found several 3 inch dead perch washed up on the beach during a pee break. So I hung those of my fly and started trolling.. Worked like a charm, but I felt kinda dirty after... But I got into some big tripliod trout milling around the reservoir inlet, a couple of 14" perch and a 36" Pikeminnow.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
In lakes the eat tons of midge larva/bloodworms.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What Z said, red or olive bloodworms. Another great option was a snail pattern. Lots of lead wrapped around a small straight shank hook to form the shape of the snail, small brown marabou tail, and peacock herl for the body. I imagine a guy could make it quite realistic with some epoxy or scud back.

We crushed fish in the early years at atown on this snail pattern. Trout and perch loved em. No real need for split shots either.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
worms and eggs... ****, that's what I woulda thrown to them filthy lock jaw trout too!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah worms and eggs..... Should have brought that box! lol I tend to be overlaoded with fly boxes so I have recently started to try and pair down the number of boxes that i carry. So I only brought the midge and bwo wet and dry boxes. I left the spawning/runoff box full of eggs and worms at home... Guess I am going to back slip and relapse into keeping the full catastrophe duffle bag full of fly boxes in my car and a feeling of anxiety when I don't have every pocket of my vest full before I step into the river! Fly addiction...... It starts with just a film canister (if you are old school), Altiods tin(new school), MMJ container(If you are from CO) with just a few adams, hares ear, bugger and PT's. Then you start experimenting with different flies, condition, species....... Then you start tying.... Then someones turns you onto the hardstuff, streamers. Before it was just a few little boxes of flies. Then you get that first hit on a streamer. Next thing you know you have a xl bugger box, weighted streamer box and unweighted streamers. Along with a Midge box, BWO box, dry midge/bwobox, hares ear/PT/caddis box (lg), other nyph box, egg and worm box,terrestrial box, stone fly dry box, stone fly wet box, small dry box, med dry box, lg dry box and a working box on a lanyard....... And that is just for trout in rivers... When you are not in your pontoon boat.. You deal streamers to other junkies. The struggle is real! You start out laughing at those guys carrying tackleboxes around. Then you find that it is hard to cast because your vest is so full.. LOL

Anyway, I did have and throw lots of midges and bloodworms (Truebloods) with and without a glass bead down to a size #24.

Thanks for all the input! I will fill the trunk with flies next time I am there!

Especially since I went up to the res above to see where that perch came from. Managed to wash the skunk off by catching some nicely colored holdover stockers hopelessly trying to spawn where the tunnel enters the reservoir from the west slope. Luckily I had a few streamers stuck in my hat in case of emergency! Now I may have to bring the pontoon and still water flies......... Just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts