Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Tarpon tips ????

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  flyfishgeek 
#1 ·
I am looking to make a trip in about 13 months. I know they run the keys area in mid to late Feb. I am interested in hiring a guide that can at least get me close. Anyone have any experience ? I will be there a week or so, plan on doing plenty of fishing on my own, but want a good shot at a tarpon

Discussion starter · #9 ·
A friend of mine has fished a few times for Tarpon. He says if you really want to have fun skip the mature Tarpon and go after the baby Tarpon....5 to 15 lbs. Says after one two hour tug of war with a mature Tarpon..it's kinda been there done that....just a lot of winching. But with the baby Tarps...He says it's a hoot...A lot more fun. I know he was down there fishing with Tarpon Jim.

Here's an article on the Baby Tarpon...I' m sure there are many more.

http://www.fishin-buddy.com/babytar.html
I think this is a good route as well, fishing a little more inshore and a lot of other species in the mix, maybe chase a giant at the end of the day.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Feb. is really too early. You can get them then, but you can have a whole week without a poon in sight too. In March is starts. April is pretty good. May is peak of the peak awesome. June still very good. All generally speaking of course, but February is really hit and miss. The captains mentioned here are all good, and there's a ton of good tarpon guides in the Keys. Loaded. Some are better with fly, some with bait, some with night fishing, some with chumming. (chumming is so easy its like cheating, but you WILL be hooked up to big poons--Key West Harbor.) Sight fishing to the babies is the most fun for sure. 5-30 pounders. Spin or fly.
THANK YOU !!!! I will adjust my calendar :thumb: I have nothing actually planned other than I want to do it and have a good chunk of the money already set aside

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.