Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Tarryall yesterday. Was a great day all around. Saw plenty of elk and deer on the way up from the Springs. Got to the lake around 8:30am.

Ice conditions - Some open water in the middle of the lake. We were on the south east end. Ice was about 9 inches there. As the day went on the open area got much bigger. If you go up there in the next couple of days I would advise being extremely careful and even avoid the area between the main south parking lot and the big rocks on the north side of the lake. It might freeze over today and tonight, and look safe, but could be only an inch or 2.

Weather - It started out cool enough for things to be freezing up, a few clouds. Looked promising for some weather given this terrible winter storm that was supposed to come in. By the afternoon it was clear and things were thawing.

Fishing - Strong bite pretty much all day. Pink seemed to be a good color. Nothing big, typical 8-12 inchers. Caught around 40 between my buddy and I. Had one stretch around 1pm where I couldn't even get it down to the bottom. Had 7 or 8 in a row like that. Just go small and if you aren't getting hit at least every 10-15 minutes, change it up.

Unusual - My buddy caught one that had some guts hanging out of his midsection. 30 minutes later I caught the same fish. Crazy how a fish that beat up would hit twice in that short of a span. Work of a pike no doubt. I caught another that had clear teeth marks, but he lived to fight another day.

Humble

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks humble! Headed up there Sat and Sun fromthe Springs myself.-Mule

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for the report. Tarryall is always a good bet to get one's mojo back after skunks elsewhere, and catching fish, any fish, is fun. Plus Mr. or Mrs. pike swimming around in there. Drop a camera down there some time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tarryall is always a good place to go if you want to just catch stockers, I usually don't like going there but after the last few trips to Antero, I just might have to go so I can remember what it's like to catch fish.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
The all's one of the best put n take lakes there is around period. Self esteem, take the inlaws or kids...it's on. There's Pike in there too. Thanks for the post...I know where I'm fishin Saturday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I enjoy both types of fishing. There are days where it fun to kick back and take it easy, cook up a few brats on the ice, and have a bunch of action. There are other days when you will sacrifice action for a shot at a few big guys. I enjoy the extra challenge that brings. I alternate back and forth, depends if I bring the kids, etc.

Then there are those days where everything comes together and you have lots of action and some big guys. Those are the days that dance like sugarplums through your dreams this time of year.

I'm going to ignore the days that everything goes wrong and you feel like you are fishing in the middle of a desert. :)

Humble

1 - 8 of 8 Posts