Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my sons(20&12), my brother, dad, 83 year old grandma, and I fished the contest at Tarryall on Saturday. Weather was good, except for some wind that would blow on and off. Ice was 18" with 6-8" of crusted snow on top.
We fished the edge of the weedline straight out from the east campground. Water was about 7 1/2' deep with about 2' of weeds sticking up. Everybody caught a bunch of rainbows that were between 12 and 15 inches. They pretty much bit anything we put through the hole on small jigs.
I got the winning pike on a tip-up, rigged with a 7" sucker suspended about 5' down in 9 FOW, a little further towards the middle of the lake. It cut my line right at the hole so I had to go in with both arms to pull him out. I got a treble hook in my hand past the barb for my trouble. It was only 23 1/2" and 4 3/4lbs, but I think it was the only pike turned in, so that made it the biggest.
One of the best parts of the day was seeing how much my grandma enjoyed it. She even won a weather radio at the raffle drawing. She had been talking earlier in the day about her concern for the snowdrifts on the road and how she wished she had a weather radio. She liked it so much, she wants to go with us again next weekend.

W

·
0 Posts
Right on dude, way to go in and get the pike out da hole! Takes a real man to do that!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She caught fish before I did. It's funny to hear her talk about, "The poor thing, the hook's stuck in his mouth." and "I hope he's not hurt, I shouldn't have done that to him."

Her first inclination is always to start reeling backward. You absolutely have to have every reel set to anti-reverse or she will make a bird's nest for you.

She's always wanting to dote on us too. She'll ask every time anybody comes by if they want her to get them some of the food and drinks she brought. She can't sit still. It's fun just to watch her.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Great post hosswolf! Love the Grandma stories. 23" 4 lb Pike.... must have been full of the Tarryall slimers we released in Early Dec....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts