Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning some trips on the Tarryall Creek (above and below the dam) and some small streams north of Jefferson. I amplanning to go in Mid June, may be earlier.

Has anyone fished that area?

·
Registered
153 Posts
you may give michigan creek a try, great dry/dropper water. its about 2 miles west of jefferson. lots of browns there, not many really big ones, but a lot of them. its in a state wildlife area and i cant remember the name of it. or you could even take another 30-40 mins and go to the Dream Stream. Great fishing there. During the summer, it might be crowded a bit... but still, some big fish.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I fished Tarryall last week over Easter. The water was up and starting to get discolored. My first afternoon I had some success using a two fly rig; the top fly was an attractor ie. red annelid (worm), the bottom fly that got the action was a BH flashback PT nymph.

The wind really picked up on Saturday, and forced us to switch to streamers. My wife and I each landed two out of the creek on Wooly Buggers. Once the wind lessened, I was able to land two more on the dry fly. I used a hopper, midge combo and landed a fish on each. Try using the smallest grasshopper fly you can find.

On Sunday we went over to the Lost Creek Wilderness, and fished for the brookies in Lost Creek. Still some ice on the water, but the trout acted like they were just starving. I lost count of the number of fish landed, but we each more than doubled the limit of 14.

The Teter-Michigan SWA north of Jefferson has some beaver pods and brook trout action, but I would recommend Lost Creek first.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
O Clarki,

how was the runoff at Lost Creek? It's one of my small stream destinations this year, but I wasn't planning on being able to hit it until after runoff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As of last weekend the water in Lost Creek was low and clear, with some ice still on the edges. I’m not sure when the full runoff will be, but when it hits that area becomes one giant swamp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forum but have been watching the posts for a while. The portion below Terryall is private after a certain point. I would say there is quite a bit of fishable stream before it is blocked off and I have caught some beautiful fish out of there.

What size are the fish coming out of Lost Creek? What were they hitting? I would love to try it soon!

·
Registered
246 Posts
The majority of Tarryall creek is on private land; but “Under a new arrangement with ranch owners and Park County, seven miles of trout steams meandering through private land are now open to the public on a reservation-only, fee-per-rod basis. Angler must have a valid fishing license and fees for fly fishing range from $25.00 to $50.00 per day depending on the ranch. Only two anglers are permitted on each property per day making for an intimate, pristine fly fishing experience. All fish caught by permitted anglers using non-chemical, artificial flies, must be immediately released.
To make reservations call 719-748-1494 or go on line at www.southparktrout.com”.

The fish in Lost Creek do not grow too large; but like most places, the farther you walk into the park the bigger the brookies become. The main trail splits away from the creek after two miles. If you walk down stream two more miles you will come to the first place where the creek goes under ground and becomes “lost”.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts