Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to tarryall at 7:30AM. no one on the lake,about 25% open water. thinking to myself what now? well i put on the life vest ,got on the ice picks and headed out. i watched the cracks to gauge the depth of ice and stayed about 10 ft from shore as i worked my way toward the dam. when i got to where i wanted to head out a bit, i watched the cracks and drilled test holes as i went.when i got to the spot i wanted to be in there was 7" of ice. plenty safe. the lake was absolutly screaming and cracking and gurgling.loudest i think i have ever heard. but i knew i was OK. ended up that i was the only one on the lake. i saw no other signs of ice fishing going on before i got out there. i left at 1PM. the fishing was good for 10-13" bows.caught 25-30 fish on jigs tipped with pieces of nightcrawler or whole mealworms. best was a all glow rat finke. caught others on pink ratso,small swedish pimples with red, small gold kastmasters. well i got the urge to ice fish satisfied,got to see if all he equipment worked and actually remember how to catch them through the ice.nothing big but there was a lot of action. got 1 brown about 12 ". never did see another person fishing through the ice. hit some snow on the way home.it should be completly iced over if we get this cold front we are supposed to get the next few days.
the season has started! ;D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice post Arkfisher, and good to hear you were completly prepared should you have fallen through. First ice freaks me out!! Sounds like you had a blast though. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Ark,

Good job getting out on Tarryall. I forgot all about it with it's recent closure. Action is action and makes for a great day. Hope you have a great hardwater season - keep up the posts.

_Colorado

1 - 3 of 3 Posts