Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iced Tarryall got there mid morning slept in :biggrin1:. Fished off Turner gulch by inlet big pressure ridge there with open water be carefull.
Ice was a good 6" water a little murkey fished in about 6' water. Ice was moaning and groaning all morning left by noon with my limit for dinner nothing big. Ice did a great big moan & groanwhen I was packing up, Good thing I was on Shore or might have had to change my shorts. Wind was picking up when I was leaving.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I didn't see a pressure ridge but to describe one it's a large crack - it can buckle inward or it can spread apart. The big one's usually happen later in the year.

I've seen the so large they can swallow up trucks. "oh ya we don't drive on the ice here in Colorado like Minnesota)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mikinaak There are some lakes in Colorado that you can drive on. Twin Lake and a few in North Park. It was my son that helped the guy at Aurora back onto the ice. He said that he did not know about pressure ridges but was going to educate himself on them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was on Granby when the biggest pressure ridge I've ever seen hit about 4 years ago. It was one of the most awesome things I have experienced in nature. The ice was talking more than I had remembered in the past, cracking, and shifting - then the whole lake just split down the middle from @ the docks to dyke 3. It sounded like a huge jet was coming toward me. Then silence, no more cracking ice or anything. There was open water everywhere.

I remember Hobiecat saying he was scooting across the ice on his machine when he hit open water; he made it across but I think his sled caught the edge and ripped off.

My wife had enough of the sketch ice sounds and went into town for coffe, when she came back she thought "I need to quite being a wuss and get back out there, it's stupid to be scared of this". As she was walking on land getting to back to the ice off of dyke 3 the whole shore opened up in front of her; I'm talking 100 yards of shore or more and about 25 yards out just fell into the open water. Had she been a few seconds earlier she would have gone in. I had to walk several hundred yards towards sunset to get back on land as there was water between me and shore. Needless to say she does not ice fish any more.

Apparently they were releasing a bunch of water which was bowing the ice until it just split.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts