Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Tarryall

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  IceInTheVeins 
#1 ·
Hey all y'all,
New to forum. Just wanted to say that fishing seems fair out there @ Tarryall. Made a quick trip today arriving around 12:00 and leaving about 2:00. If I hadn't been rounding heard on the little ones, Colton 4, and Mason 2, I'd have been close to catching a limit from shore using orange power eggs. IF I was interested in keeping any fish at all. The one I managed to bring in was 10-12 inches and fairly lively....think it was a "stocker". Looked like he'd had a run in with a pike a while back, might have been one of the older hold over fish from the dam renovations. Very crowded, and it seems that there was always some idiot trolling over my line. Guess somethings don't change much. Did seem that most of the boaters that were beyond shore-casting distance were fairing better than the shore bound guys like myself. Did manage to see a couple skinny, hammer-handle pike landed from a few different boats.

Stan.

#5 ·
pikester said:
I'm glad to hear that there are some pike in there.  I really hope they can make a nice rebound.  Catching pike through the ice there is a real treat.
I'm glad to hear that pike are still in there. It should be managed for pike because every darn lake doesn't have to be managed for trout. It doesn't grow many good trout anyway, pretty much always was put and take. So why not allow a nice pike population? People want it, but the disaster doesn't.

#6 ·
Its fantastic news that the pike managed to survive. I am guessing they took up residence in the stream while the lake was being renovated. I am sure the CDOW isn't celebrating but the only reason I ever went to fish this lake were the pike in the upper end. They are one tough fish!!!

#7 ·
Those pike will enlarge quickly and ice fishing should be a hoot.Many days icing 11-mile the fishing would slow down and we would head to tarryall to fish the afternoon and it always produced. I'll prolly hit tarryall this fall right before ice-up and see how big the trout are.

#9 ·
there used to be alot of nice trout in there. one day me and a buddy landed 20 trout none under 18" and had several break our lines so dont tell me there was never any good trout in there. also have caught several nice pike in there . it was one of the few lakes that had a nice balance between trout and pike

G
#14 ·
I have not been up there in a long time...what are the road conditions like? If I remember correctly the last time I was there the dirt road off 285 leading to the lake was not great....lots of washboards...Do they maintain it in the winter? How long after it snows do they get the plows out? I am asking cause my boat trailer does not like rough dirt roads and they wife does not like unplowed roads in the winter.

#16 ·
The road is paved all the way in now....but it's still pretty rough. Lots of potholes and such. Not sure as to winter maintenance, last time I was up there ice fishing my then new 1992 Dodge Dakota was in the shop and I carpooled up with my dad and his friend. We made it up and back in a 1975 Ford F250...2 wheel drive!!! I think they used to do a decent job plowing back then.

I don't think a boat & trailer would be too bad. Saw some large 5th wheels and motorhomes in there.

#18 ·
fishinguitars said:
ive caught a few nice trout and pike at tarryall....its also where i caught my first pike.....years ago i seen some crazy stringers of pike must have been 50 on a stringer with only two people

Those people should have had their licenses ripped to pieces. What a bunch of hogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.