Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
We were there last Saturday. Ice was 18-20 inches thick with about 4 inches of hardpack on top. Don't know what a week's worth of warm weather has done to it now.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hey Dante, did you have any luck up there last Saturday? I know the lake was just filled again, are there any fish of size up there yet?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Only caught half a dozen small stockers. Others on the ice were having the same luck. Had one good hit that broke off the shrimpo with a mealie I was using. Action seemed to come in waves. It was our first time there. The weather was gorgeous!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does any one think that the ice will be safe enough for next week (13th through the 17th)? I have spring break and wanted to get some icefishing in before it is all gone.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was there on Sunday. I will post a report this evening with some pics.
But here is the short story.
Ice 18 inches and melting fast -- at the south east side of the lake.
Ice is getting very jagged on the bottom and rotting quick. Ice near the edges is slushy by mid day. Unless it gets damn cold for the next week I would plan on pulling out the spin gear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
by they sounds of it, i think you're right about the spinning gear. No way am i going on thin ice, i'm not a good swimmer. Thanks abunch. I'm guessing this will be the same for much of the other lakes up in the mountains????? ??? maybe i'll stick to the metro lakes for fishing over break.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the word from Larry's site is that the cold weather has stabilized the lid on 11mile but very little new ice has grown and a fair amount of open water has appeared. I would assume this holds true for tarryall also. you might have a chance of some safe ice -- just be warned we were about the only ones out there last sunday, saw 3 other groups -- that could spell trouble if you are by yourself on late ice.

Good luck. be safe,
FH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts