Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using these lures for around seven years now and it's time to update my supply. I know it depends on conditions and species targeted, but I was wondering what your "old reliable" flavor is? I would be mainly trout fishing on lakes and streams, but please share for any species.

My go-tos have been the yellow wings and x-mas lights with a newfound foundness towards the pink panther.
http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/frames/rangefr.html
Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
I like hot pink - have used them and caught rainbows, kokanee, and pike on them. I like to switch it up sometimes and rig them backwards.

They're terrific!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I haven't tried all the colors by far, but here are four I've had success with:

26. Pink Lady

55. Pink Panther (my favorite)

51. Xmas Tree

58. Traffic Lights

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sorry to say, I don't know if they'll catch fish or not.

I bought a big handful of them this spring, and I blush to admit, never got around to even tying one on. [hanging head in shame]

Well, I'll give them a workout next spring, for sure. ;D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I never feel like I'm fishing these properly. I have tied on both with the wire through the lure, and also directly to the hook. I have caught fish trolling them, but never on a retrieve. Any tips much appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just Ed said:
I like hot pink - have used them and caught rainbows, kokanee, and pike on them.  I like to switch it up sometimes and rig them backwards.

They're terrific!
I do that too. On the old packages I seem to remember one way was a faster action and the other was a slower action.

Jclay: I always use the wire. Sometimes I jig it a bit while reeling, but other than that I don't do anything special.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Pink is definetly my favorite, but chartreuse has banged a lot of browns and assorted rainbows. Ice fisher taught me a trick this year,..  throw away the wire, put the taz in, add a small bead of your favorite color, followed by a treble. Yeah, you can teach an old dog new tricks! Besides, I always lost those wire thingies.

H

·
0 Posts
Here's a nice little site on fishing the tasmanian devils...Also, it shows deep diving tasmanian devils and jigging tasmanain devels..

LITTLE TASMANIAN DEVIL® 7 gram - 1/4 oz. (38mm)   The "Little Tassie Devil" is ideal for casting in small rivers and streams. Recommended trolling speed of 4km/h (2.4m/h) is sufficient to provide the unique action of flicking and swaying from side to side that will normally attract the most reluctant fish to strike. When Casting, vary the retrieve rate by flicking the rod tip.

ORIGINAL TASMANIAN DEVIL® 13.5 gram - 1/2 oz. (52mm)   The "Tassie Devil" is the original of the three sizes that Wigston's Lures commenced manufacturing in Australia in 1980. Performance as a trolling, casting, downrigging or jigging lure is best described as a great all-rounder. Recommended trolling speed is 4.5km/h (2.75m/h). The correct speed is indicated by a pulsating or nodding action of the rod tip.

BIG TASMANIAN DEVIL® 26 gram - 1 oz. (78mm)   The "Big Tassie Devil" is designed for larger fish and performs ideally as a trolling, downrigging, jigging or casting lure. Recommended trolling speed is 5.5km/h (3.5m/h) and the correct speed can be monitored by rod pulse. Downriggers or lead core line can be used to increase trolling depth.

A revolution in winged lure technology, the new Dual Depth Tasmanian Devil is capable of reaching depths similar to those achieved when using lead core line. This is achieved by the innovation of two towing points. The first tow point located on the head of the lure enables the lure to swim at 3.3m. The second tow point in the regular front position allows the lure to swim at 2.2m. One of the most versatile Tasmanian Devil lures available.
DUAL DEPTH TASMANIAN DEVIL® 20 gram - 3/4 oz. (54mm)   Suitable for Trout, Salmon, Bass, Steelhead, Redfin, Trevally, Tailor, Queenfish & Flathead. Recommended trolling speed is 3.5km/h (2.00m/h)

TASMANIAN DEVIL® has taken to the Salt!     Or for Slabbing!

These weighty metal versions of the Original Tasmanian Devil were designed specifically for surf & rock spinning, salt water trolling & jigging. They enable fantastic castability and retreival through surf beach gutters or off the rocks when fishing for salmon, tailor, tuna, kingfish, flathead, bluefish, trevally & other salt water species. Available in 70g & 40g versions, in blue, red, green & yellow with reflective holographic wings.

SALTY TASMANIAN DEVIL® 40g (56mm) / 70g (75mm)   Suitable for Salmon, Tailor, Tuna, Kings, Flathead and other surf species. From the boat they can be trolled or vertically jigged for any fish that swims.
Colors available : Yellow

http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/range.html

Also, this page shows the various ways to rig them..

http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/rig.html

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have two favorites that I only use and that is the pink and the christmas tree.  They are fun to use but mostly I will bring them out as a last resort so that I don't have to hear about a skunk from Koldkut.

The best way that I have found to fish them is that I will let it sink, depending on where I'm fishing, and start with a fast retrieve for about 6'.  Stop and let it drop for about three seconds, which it will drop about a 9" a second for the larger ones, and then I do a medim-slow retrieve with a jerk every now and then.  I also just cast and do a medium-slow retrieve all the way in in shallow waters.  I have had a lot of success both ways.  Hope this gets you a nibble or two.  

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
I have heard a lot of guys that are successful with them get rid of the wire and slide the lure directly on their line...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Some lures I have no confidence in...Taz's would be one of them...

J

·
0 Posts
dloring said:
I've never had any luck with them but I sure do find alot of them on shore - they must be easy to lose.
My first trip to Aurora - fishing the z-spot...everyone was getting skunked. I put on a pink taz and made a few casts. Caught a nice sized rainbow (I'm not proud, I'll catch a bow to avoid the skunk at A-town when everyone else is fishing for walleye and wiper).

Give the pink ones a shot when you go out there on Sunday!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have never had any luck with them because I just can't get them to "wooble" right??

My buddy caught 3-4 pike and a large slimer at Spinney on a brown one over the summer.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts