Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody like these lures? If so, what style (color) would you recommend for which species? I have used the Frog and Mardi Gras with some success on trout.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Up in Estes, blue/white/pink works well on the Trout in Marys, and Gold or Yellow/orange/green slay the Trout in Lake Estes. I've been told they work well on Northerns also. You can buy them in packs (3 or 4) w/ the species they're geared for.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I started using them last year at Spinney and did very good on them.I also have caught many salmon on them at Wolford,Willow Creek,and 11 Mile.I use the medium size(not sure how many oz)and I almost always use pink ;)

lyn

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have used the #55 pictured below for Kokanees and had some success:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I like them for trout fishing.  Black is my best producer but I have caught many on the orange with the black stripes too. #56

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
TAL0362 said:
That is pink if I am not mistaken. Can you say it work2fish, "I like pink".
OK....

"The fish I catch like pink!" ;) Where is Rottal when we need him!?!?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Interesting subject as I have heard so many good things on these lures but I personally have not done that well with them.

What trolling speed is best and do you need leaded line to keep them down? I ran them with straight mono trolling and didn't have much success with them but I hear they work so maybe it is something I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have used the tasmanians for a long time.  They are great for trout, but have heard of pike nabbing one once in a while in lake shallows.  I use the 45 and the 51 mostly, but have done real well on pink too. 

I will say though, that lakes are a hit and miss with this lure.  If you catch one, you can probably catch 20.  But if you sit there for 20 mins or so without a bite, its time to move or try something different.  But these little devils are absolutely killer in the rivers around the state.  I don't think they have ever skunked me.  just toss them as far as you can upstream, real them back to you moderate to fast and if there are fish, they will bite it.  Thats my $0.02   

Good luck, and happy fishing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i think tazmanian devils are kinda overrated. only in clear water it'll catch fish. the way it's designed, clear plastic with limited colors, makes it less visible to the fish. get something metallic. bronze, copper or chrome based. big flashing action always works. im a metal spoon guy and kastmaster is my specialty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
I like them for trout fishing.  Black is my best producer but I have caught many on the orange with the black stripes too. #56
exactly... only definite, dark colors wil work for these things.

·
Registered
838 Posts
There is one particular color that will slay the kokes. Hint: it is not in the picture from above.

I like running them clean off a downrigger......

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. Sounds like these should be used as girly lures :). Trout, kokes, and pike. Anyone catch any bass or walleye with these?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Fowl_Hooked said:
There is one particular color that will slay the kokes. Hint: it is not in the picture from above.

I like running them clean off a downrigger......
OK, then which color is it? ;D (#6, right?)

·
Registered
239 Posts
The biggest trout that I've ever caught trolling was on a brown trout colored
Taz. #46, I think. I have used the orange with black at Quincy for trout and
it seems to work well.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Aw shucks, #6 does exist and it's called "aussie" (but Cabela's calls it "frog"):

http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/frames/rangefr.html

which says "lady bird" is this one (#7):

and I really meant to suggest one that didn't actually exist (you know, the lure that works the best is the one that isn't pictured)... >:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts