1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this doesn't come to pass...

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile
By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/05/11 07:45 AM ET

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's "Transportation Opportunities Act," an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

“This is not an Administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the Administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the Administration, does not taken into account the advice of the President’s senior advisors, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the President.”

News of the draft follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

The CBO report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-ND), who has proposed taxing cars by the mile as a way to increase federal highway revenues.

Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill. That section would create, within the Federal Highway Administration, a Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. It would be tasked with creating a "study framework that defines the functionality of a mileage-based user fee system and other systems."

The administration seems to be aware of the need to prepare the public for what would likely be a controversial change to the way highway funds are collected. For example, the office is called on to serve a public relations function, as the draft says it should "increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs and provide information on possible approaches."

The draft bill says the "study framework" for the project and a public awareness communications plan should be established within two years of creating the office, and that field tests should begin within four years.

The office would be required to consider four factors in field trials: the capability of states to enforce payment, the reliability of technology, administrative costs, and "user acceptance." The draft does not specify where field trials should begin.

The new office would be funded a total of $200 million through FY 2017 for the project.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

·
Registered
844 Posts
Why can't they just go with the Flat Tax and eliminate all the other BS instead of adding to the cost and bureaucracy that is strangling the life out of this country?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have to tell you, it is hard being a moderate and seeing both sides of the coin.

We got problems with our air...

We got problems with bureaucracy mutating the DNA of the government...

Anything you do is going to piss off someone... :-\

I have to thank Myspace (the great abandoned amusement park of the internet) for popularizing the phrase "it's complicated"

SS

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
do you pay a flat rate on water usage or per amount? How about electricity? Do you pay a flat rate and use as much as you can, or per usage used? Watch and see, this is gonna be the way you pay for internet someday soon as well. Pay for what you use.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
baetisrun1 said:
do you pay a flat rate on water usage or per amount? How about electricity? Do you pay a flat rate and use as much as you can, or per usage used? Watch and see, this is gonna be the way you pay for internet someday soon as well. Pay for what you use.
We already pay consumption based fuel taxes.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
sswan said:
baetisrun1 said:
We already pay consumption based fuel taxes.
Yepper and you can read the amounts right on the pump...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
we already pay for miles driven with the gas tax. this is a way to make everyone pay at the same rate. if your car gets 40 mpg and mine gets 10 mpg i pay more per mile driven than you do. with the new fuel efficent cars out there they arn't getting as much tax as they used to get. so now mpg wont mean anything in tax paid, just how many miles driven. if they do that and take the gas tax off then everyone who fills their boat of lawnmower will pay less for gas. the way to do that is fill your car the day before you fill your boat and only drive a mile then you will pay tax on 1 mile but pump 25 gal of gas.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
sswan said:
Weezy said:
Oh wahhhhh :'(
What an intelligent response! I underestimated you, Weezy.
Okay I'll make a more mature response.

Everyone wants to cut spending, and America's highway infastructure is falling apart faster than they can keep up with it.

By taxing drivers for higher usage of these highways, it creates a way to repair the highways without going further into national debt.

Do I want to spend more to drive - of course not!

But it's an initial draft of an idea to help solve a problem. Don't get so upset about it - the sky isn't falling chicken little! :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weezy said:
Don't get so upset about it - the sky isn't falling chicken little! :D
And you were doing so good, too. I have utmost confidence that you'll eventually achieve mediocrity--Just keep pluggin' at it!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
sswan said:
Weezy said:
Don't get so upset about it - the sky isn't falling chicken little! :D
And you were doing so good, too. I have utmost confidence that you'll eventually achieve mediocrity--Just keep pluggin' at it!
Still mad?

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/

I'm not sure I have the same confidence that you'll eventually stop complaining, maybe one day someone will listen, but I doubt it :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weezy said:
Still mad?

I'm not sure I have the same confidence that you'll eventually stop complaining, maybe one day someone will listen, but I doubt it :D :D :D
Oh, I'm actually having a pretty good time. You can't tell?

I have confidence that some day in the distant future you'll be able to properly construct a sentence.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
sswan said:
Weezy said:
Still mad?

Oh, I'm actually having a pretty good time. You can't tell?

I have confidence that some day in the distant future you'll be able to properly construct a sentence.
Oh Swan, critiquing the grammar of my sentence with an edited post? Shameful my friend - I think you need to go fishing and relax, don't be so angry ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weezy said:
Oh Swan, critiquing the grammar of my sentence with an edited post? Shameful my friend - I think you need to go fishing and relax, don't be so angry ;)
Sorry, I haven't been here to play for a couple hours. Work stuff, ya know? You do know, right? I mean, your parents occasionally make you put some clothes on and get out of their basement, right?

Anyways, I'm back now, and not angry at all. How can I be angry and entertained at the same time?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
sswan said:
Weezy said:
Sorry, I haven't been here to play for a couple hours. Work stuff, ya know? You do know, right? I mean, your parents occasionally make you put some clothes on and get out of their basement, right?

Anyways, I'm back now, and not angry at all. How can I be angry and entertained at the same time?
Actually, yes I do, I am at work right now, watching the clock and waiting to go fishing. I plan on catching an eye or two in about an hour ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts