Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a quality taxidermist around here or a place that does fiberglass replicas. I would be looking to take some warm water species to mount or reproduce.

L

·
0 Posts
I had "Almost Alive Taxidermy" do a skin mount of a wiper. The work and product was quality.

For replicas I like www.permatrophy.com. I think their mounts are incredible. They are out of state so you pay for shipping and crating, but the product is awesome. In fact I'm waiting for another fish from them now. I would never do this but to show the durability of their mounts,,,,,,,,

If you have some fish to mount, get them in NOW. As Spring and Summer progress, the backlog for most fish taxidermists will increase, increasing your wait for your fish.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any right this moment but I want to know where to go when I find the right fish. Where is Almost Alive Taxidermy? Also what is the best method for storing them before taking the fish to the taxidermist?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
roth2000 said:
I don't have any right this moment but I want to know where to go when I find the right fish. Where is Almost Alive Taxidermy? Also what is the best method for storing them before taking the fish to the taxidermist?
There are a couple good threads from a while back related to this:

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=5500.0
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1778.0

You can read about the best way to prepare a fish to be taken to a taxidermist. As for a replica mount, you just need good measurements (length, girth) and some photos. Most good replica taxidermists will then match the colors on your fish.

As I mentioned in the above posts, I used LAX Taxidermy:

http://www.laxreproductions.com/index.shtml

and they were great. No doubt there are several good ones out there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When I was in high school I caught a 7 1/2 lb Largemouth and had it mounted. Only fish i have ever had mounted.

I wrapped it in a wet towell and then froze. Mount turned out great!

I waited six months for the taxidermist in KC to finish!  Went home for Christmas and to pick up said fish. Got back to Denver and placed my most prized position in the world, on my bed, so i could go get a hammer and nails. In the two minutes I was gone my sister's ####### cat chewed of the fins, gill plates and the eye's :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

In a fit of homicidal rage I grabbed him and tried to drown him in a sink of tap water my mother had just filled. The cat scatched my arms into hamburger but I didn't feel a thing! It took my dad and my brother all they could muster to save ######## Orange Slice's worthless ass. Orange slice earned his wings one year later when my neighbor did they right thing and didn't swerve!!! I only wish i could of been there to see him flattened under the tire!!!!!!!!

The Moral of the story is release all trophy fish and get a fiberlglass replica. But most importantly, if you see a cat in the road, never swerve or hit the brakes ;D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Neal,

That is a great story ;D and I don't remember hearing that one before!!! Why in the world would anyone name their cat Orange Slice!?!?!?! With such a name, it was very thoughtful of the driver to put him out of his misery... ;)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
work2fish said:
Neal,

That is a great story ;D and I don't remember hearing that one before!!!  Why in the world would anyone name their cat Orange Slice!?!?!?!  With such a name, it was very thoughtful of the driver to put him out of his misery...  ;)

Roths question just reopened a very painful memory for me, LOL. Orange slice should been drowned at birth!!!

I still have a quality photo of the fish, I may have a replicate made some day?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't you know Neal that cats don't like baths ;D. Sorry your attempt on his life was unsuccessful. I imagine thats what I would do if that happened to me.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
u know neal ... a mallet and a swift whack on the noggin, should do the trick ;D, im so kidding, no animal crulity!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know the rule on cat hunting the regs require that they are caught and relaeses in the nearest dog park on sat or sunday only >:D >:D >:D >:D

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
     I agree with Laker on Almost Alive, he did my 42 inch pike and it came out beautiful, plus he'll do it anyway you want and not the way he wants like alot of others. They are at 851 Hwy 224 # 8b, (1/2 block east of 70th & Washington ). The number is 303-297-0757 , his name is Jerrod.
good luck & cya on the water

L

·
0 Posts

This is the wiper that Almost Alive did for me. I went basic on this mount and I think the price was $9 or 10$ an inch with the driftwood backdrop. You can get any backdrop for more $$.

This is a Northern done by www.permatrophy.com, This one is a smaller 42 incher (I have a much bigger one coming - near 48"). The oak backdrop is extra and is not actually oak. It is plaster so it won't fade or crack like wood will or the bark fall off like the real thing will. Perma Trophies will truly last a lifetime (including atacks by mentally unstable house cats). All my mounts will from these guys from now on. 

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts

This is a skin on mount  done by Almost Alive. It is 42.5" & almost 25 lbs. It is my only one after 40 yrs of fishing. I will only mount under certain circumstances. I hunted this same fish every weekend for over 2 months, was always in the same hole, followed the bait up to the boat 5 times then would turn and go right back to its hole. I figured it was over 100 hours spent on this one great fish,was the match of my life so far!!!   :eek:

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
The best guy in Colorado is Mike Ross. he wins best fresh water mount almost every year for the US and last year he was #1 in the world for fresh water mounts. His mounts look as if they might start flopping around they are that good. As far as preping a fish for a mount he recomends wraping in a wet towel with borax. Only problem with Mike is normally he is 18 months out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tanglewood on N. Federal does a great job, but don't be in a hurry. I've had a brown & a rainbow done there and had to wait about 8 months each time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts