Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is enough ice off of Taylor to fish for macs? Has anyone ever fished ice-out for macs there? I fish it regularly through the ice and even got a 16pounder a few years ago. Thinking of heading up there on Sunday? Anyone heard anything about it lately?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Its numbers of large macks are severly depleted, and IMO it has too many small ones. Another one of those lakes where an increased base limit would help IMO, with better protection of larger fish, say a slot limit. It still has ice on a good portion of the lake, wait another 2 weeks or so for everything to be open. You should get good numbers and there are still a few hogs around...the biggest ones at taylor seem to hold shallower, even during the winter like 10-20 ft. deep.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I forgot to mention- taylor reservoir also has decent fishing for rainbows, cutthroats, and browns. I caught a few of each species icefishing there this winter. Taylor also has excellent pike fishing, but that doesn't pick up until about mid june and the pike during the winter at taylor are dormant. The northeast section around texas pt. if you can find the old channel has good mack fishing this time of year, as does right in front of the boathouse. Good luck, I like that lake quite a bit myself.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Taylor still has some big macks, they just need more to eat so they can grow. The three fish bag limit with only one allowed over 26" is a good regulation, and I wish blue mesa was protected like that.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
Taylor still has some big macks, they just need more to eat so they can grow. The three fish bag limit with only one allowed over 26" is a good regulation, and I wish blue mesa was protected like that.
I can agree to that. I don't know squat about lake trout except the fact that they seem rewarding as heck to catch, but those numbers that the DOW set at Taylor are good IMO. BTW, I hunted elk right above Taylor last year during the archery season. Never seen such beauty as I did out there.

M

·
0 Posts
a bit off topic, but if u go over cottonwood pass from taylor to buena vista or visaversa, the little strem along the paved portion of the pass has a ton of the prettiest brookies u will ever see, unless u r fishing elk creek up around ulford cave by sylan lake WOW! but on the way home from taylor last summer i just tossed a san juan into a pool and pulled them out, nothing big, but pretty natural mountain fishies

·
Banned
487 Posts
Mustang said:
a bit off topic, but if u go over cottonwood pass from taylor to buena vista or visaversa, the little strem along the paved portion of the pass has a ton of the prettiest brookies u will ever see, unless u r fishing elk creek up around ulford cave by sylan lake WOW! but on the way home from taylor last summer i just tossed a san juan into a pool and pulled them out, nothing big, but pretty natural mountain fishies
Remote mountain streams that have brookies and cutts and sometimes all four trout are a favorite of mine. The really remote ones are easy to fish and the trout will hit either bait, lures, or flies. Always carry a jar of salmon eggs though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts