Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We fished the Taylor and East River. My son and his friend were learning the ropes on how to river fish with lures, and each of them caught or hooked several trout, from 13 to 15 inches, mostly on red and white daredevils.

We also fished the Taylor River inlet at Taylor reservoir from shore. One of the boys caught about an 18 inch pike, and more rainbows, using spoons. I had some luck with a gold spoon, but my best result was using TFB's technique--size 12 hook with a chunk of worm drifting it down stream. Biggest trout I caught was about 19 inches, healthy and full of fight. Several other fishermen were having good luck with worms on the bottom.

We stopped by the dam catch and release area, and every fly fisherman there was getting skunked. The local stores also report that spot as slow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the cool report. I love the river above the reservoir. So beautiful in that high mountain valley with the georgeous mountains on each side. Congrats on some good fishing with the youngins!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I fished the taylor river just below the damn with lures and slayed them. Lots of fish just not any big ones but it was fun. I was there in the morning and that evening on the 15th. Didn't see any fly fisherman catching anything though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watervolves: I think lures would work below the dam, as they did with you, but we hit it during the middle of the day, when the sun was out in full force. Some of the fish would rush at the lures, but turn away as soon as they saw all the fishermen.

Oh, yeah, we also fished a little at the Roaring Judy ponds, with no luck. Again, it was during the middle of the day, and hot, so I think the timing was just wrong.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
most likely right. I was there before anybody else in the morning and late in the evening and they were feeding a lot then.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
is there any "dispersed ie. free" camping near the taylor above the reservoir?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I like to use tube jigs below the dam in the fryingpan which is similar. If you spot a nice fish, a 3" tube jig almost surely will anger him into striking. Cast 3 or 4 times and bring it by his nose. Then when you get a short follow on one of the following casts you know he'll probably hit it the next cast. Give each fish about 10 casts and if you don't get him to strike within that time he probably won't hit.

Where worms are legal a couple miles downriver, they are definitely hard to beat though.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Whenever I hit Taylor Park I always check out the Texas Creek area for primitive camping. It was great during hte 80's but then started to get 'discovered' and the crowds and ATVs came. Still, it's close enough to Taylor to be worthwhile and the creek actually does hold some nice brookies and browns - cutts too if you go about 6 miles up the road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was just up at Texas creek over the 4th weekend. _Colorado is right about the crowds on that area and ATV's. We only caught brookies out of there this yr. but last year we caught browns as well. If you are willing to 4wheel a ways up the road there are some awesome camping spots up there that were vacant even over the 4th wknd. As a side note spring crk res. , which is northwest of Taylor res. is a great place to take the kids fishing. My 5 yr. old had a blast . The river below Taylor is a joke. Every time I have been by there it is shoulder to shoulder trying to catch the same fish over & over. I guess some people are into that not me. SeeYa Oh roadkill there is plenty of camping along the Taylor above the res. which is perfect for RVs as it is flat but has no trees. Pretty river.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks

when does the snow start to fly up there i would like to plan a fall trip

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wouldn't go any later than first week of october.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
the river below has always treated me good fishing at dusk and into night with rapalas. less crowds if any and all those big trout start hunting for something big to eat,

F

·
0 Posts
so spin fishermen are allowed ....hahhaha...everytime i hear about the fryingpan or the taylor its people talking about micro flies and big fish . I can just see the way the orvis gang would stare at me with a cooler of beer on the bank basketball shorts for waders braided line and some rapala's .....but I now realize its my duty to do so I want a big trout right in front of all these dudes ..ill set the hook like bill dance scream yee haw when im fighting the monster take a look at the beast maybe get a pic and release the brute to be caught again(hopefully not by a fashion model fisherman ) ......Does anyone else want to cast a 1oz kastmaster swiftly into the head of these flyfishermen that slowly take your spots they start 50 feet away pretty soon they are right on top of you waiting for you to leave....one day i will do it ...BAM right to the dome all three trebles into the cranium

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Fish guitars ,WE must be related! I love puttin the snob flailers into the "dome".Love it! YEE-haw!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Like ive never had a guy walk up and throw a rapala into the hole i was flyfishing in---its common on both sides. its the person, not the technique they are utilizing to fish with that dictates thier rude behavior.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
well i need a little ribbing i suppose...but ill make sure im ready to duck the next time i fish the Taylor with you guys around...

F

·
0 Posts
I know dude ....Im not trying to disrespect anyone but to me its pretty funny the way some flyfisherman do things ....the same way its funny to me when guys dunk bait drink beer and blast music on the shore and wonder why they dont catch anything ...I agree its the person not way that they are fishing ....none the less when i see a rude flyfisherman decked out in orvis gear thinkin he owns the river I do want to decorate his forhead with a kastmaster.....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts