Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
depends.
For big lakers, not really anymore. It still has a few left though; my dad hooked a very large one last year but he got a tangle in his reel and it got away. I also caught several 4-5 pounders one day which is a darn good laker in colorado anymore. Average size is your typical 15-20". Numbers can be variable, anywhere from just a few to 40. It is really hit and miss. The trout fishing is also hit or miss. I caught browns, cutts, rainbows, and cutbows there last year up to 17" although most are 12-14". Pike are said to go deep and are very inactive during the winter. The guys who work in the store all say they've never heard of a pike getting iced there before. One day in 90 foot of water over the channel I had a fish bite off though, it struck and acted like a pike on sonar so I assume that's what it was. I wouldn't try to fish for them though.
Best lure is a CHARTREUSE 3" tube jig. Best depths are usually 20-50 feet with 40 being premium. There are a few big lakers left but just not very many. You might put in 100 hours before you hook a large one... and that large one ain't gonna be over 12# probably.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's worth it. Taylor is one of the most beautiful lakes in the State. Macks are pretty easy to catch, and I've even caught a 16lb 36inch Mack through the ice there. Most are smaller of course, but I usually get at least one over 23" every time I go. Sometimes you can get into the rainbows like crazy if the Macks are not biting. Like TFB said, I have had best luck with Chartruese tubes in this lake. I usually use a 2" but sometimes a 3". Tip with a small cube of sucker meat. They will be on the bottom. A good spot is straight out from the marina, just work your way out untill you find the fish.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
concur

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
pretty well. Should be an easy drive except maybe right after or during a storm. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info...we are thinking of going there in January.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Bring the power auger and maybe an extension, if it is the last of jan and it has been a cold winter anyway. You can rent cabins there for cheap if you want to stay overnight or do like I do and camp out on the ice...it gets really cold though ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts