Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TAYLOR RIVER FLY FISHING REPORT – 8/6/2016

The Taylor River is fishing great, with flows at 344 cfs at Almont currently. Fish are looking up and feasting on nymphs below the surface. The biggest hurdle to having a 30 fish day is the massive crowds that are still flogging the Taylor’s water, with nearly every good pull-out hosting an out of state vehicle. The key to catching a mess of fish is finding water that hasn’t been despoiled by another angler…look for difficult-to-access water and you’ll find willing feeders.

Look to big dries to produce results on top, such as a Royal Stimulator, Amy’s Ant, or Chernobyl Ant and drop a BH FSHBK Pheasant Tail, Prince Nymph, or Barr’s BH PMD about 20 inches below. Pat’s Rubberlegs will also capture a few fish, although not nearly as many as you will dominate if you throw Pat’s in the early spring or mid-fall. Pat’s Rubberlegs is an amazing fish catcher, so if you are not hurling one with a small nymph as a dropper, you are possibly missing out on some good fish. For happy hour, position yourself across the stream from fishy areas, cast across or across/upstream and skate a stimulator through good, medium-paced water to capture some bigger-than-average rising trout that are looking for evening egg-laying caddisflies. I love a #14 Royal Stimulator for this technique.

All in all, if you can deal with the overcrowding on the river, you can catch a mess of fish right now on numerous different flies and techniques.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Awesome report, Love the Taylor!

Now that Jake has finished college and moved away I do not get back there anymore. Miss it.

I have a post with one of my all time favorite videos of my son catching a nice bow there in the winter/spring.

I drew the Taylor (East was my afternoon beat) the year I won the Gunnison Superfly. Love it with a passion. What a beautiful river.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cochise-
Winning Superfly...Wow! That is really cool. I'm hoping to participate in my first Superfly next month. I'm curious what was your fly of choice? What flies do you remember other guys using? I'm really curious as to how the whole Superfly thing works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts