Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I are taking our annual trip to hit the ice at Taylor Res this weekend. We are looking for any tips or reports. Has anyone heard any reports on the ice / slush? What they are hitting?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it helps,

I was up there 24Dec10 with my son. There was slush but the snow cover was crusted fairly well. Going out there without paddles on a track is risky.

The ice was a solid 8 inches under the 12-18 inches of snow crust and slush. I am confident a person could go anywhere on the lake though we stayed by the marina area.

Somebody else had their sled stuck in the slush a polaris 90's flat tracker. When we gave him some help he was out in little time.

Used sucker and pulled some small ones out. Tough bite LIGHT bite but then it was the middle of the afternoon when we were there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help.

Someone else told us Jigging Rapalas tipped with Sucker Meat
Curly Tails (white or Brown) on a jig head tipped with sucker meat.
Tube Jigs tipped with Sucker Meat
Kastmasters (if you are fishing for trout instead of Lake Trout)

I hope he is right.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Taylor is a great place to fish if you time it just right.

But if you don't; the weather, snow and slush can be a biatch not to mention the extremely cold air that you'll find in that huge expanse of a park.

It can be done on foot if you have a big pair of eggs; however a snow machine is the way to go IMO. ;)

January 2, 2009

A few examples of the lakers you can expect there with of course the chance for some bigger fish as well...........

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Good photos of fat lakers. My brother was up there on the 3rd and did not do well, but he was fishing for rainbows-- not lakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there will be four of us up there on Saturday too. Hope we all do good. I expect to have to fight the snow quite a bit.

Good luck and maybe we will see you there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had a fun time at Taylor last weekend. There weren't too many people out there. The conditions were great (compared to the slush we encountered last March). There was about 10" of snow on the ice and no slush at all.

They were hitting on white paddle bugs, white & pepper colored tubes tipped with sucker meat. One friend also caught one on a jigging rapala.

We all caught a couple, nothing huge. The biggest was 20".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never iced Taylor. Is it possible to use and ATV there, or is there just to much snow?

Hope to see some of you out there. :) :) :)

We will have food and drink, stop in and say hello ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daredevil - The ice was over 12", I didn't check that close to see how thick, sorry.
I think there is too much snow on it to take an atv out there. We used a snowmobile and it worked great.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks bro. Were going for the big ones. If I'm lucky enough to get 3 bites all day it'll be a great day. That lake holds some real PIGS.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I remember catching a couple smaller fish like and 18" and a 22", and having a large one snap off when I fished in about 90-110 fow at this spot near the old taylor river channel once. For good numbers of 15-23" lakers I used to like to fish out front of the marina thing in like 40 fow if you can find it. Tube jigs with sucker meat near the bottom were good there, as well as 4" white bucktail jigs, my personal taylor park reservoir favorite, I've had some 30 laker days there before...I remember first time I ever laker fished was when I was 10 years old (like 12 years ago) and it was there and I caught like 20, all fat and healthy.

Fun fishery. Good rainbows and browns are found at the texas creek inlet, and I've always wanted to stick a tipup back up in one of those coves (in a good transition zone/point area likely for a pike to stumble across, I have a very specific spot in mind) to try for a northern.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alright, thanks for all the info. No ATV, but will still be on the ice.

tight lines to everyone, and again thanks for the info. Hope to see you all out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts