Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am teaching my wife how to fly fish this weekend. I am somewhat torn if we should hit up some beaver ponds for brook trout, or if I want to take her out on a decent sized creek. What do you guys think is better for teaching a newbie? The ponds I am thinking of have plenty or room to cast, and we will be wearing waders. I have only been fly fishing heavily for about 4 years, so I am excited to learn some more myself by attempting to teach it, lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Take her somewhere where she will catch a fish. It's always more fun for a beginner to catch fish than learn to cast properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take her somewhere where she will catch a fish. It's always more fun for a beginner to catch fish than learn to cast properly.
Absolutely! Once she hooks one, she'll be hooked. Then watch out. Learning the ins and outs of fly fishing can come after she's hooked.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Small creeks and beaver ponds are ideal for newbies. Small creeks with good casting opportunities that is. Big dry flies that she can easily see and the chance to see the fish hit the fly. That is fun for beginners as well as advanced fisherman.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to cancel the trip due to thunderstorms in the mountains. Thanks everyone for the input! Hoping to go out soon to make up for it.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
God I'm so happy my wife has no interest in learning to fly fish!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
In order to provide some positive feedback for you, I'll give you my experience.

I've taken my wife fly fishing a dozen times or so. We've done casting lessons on the lawn a few times and she knows the basics. She has fished high lakes and caught cutthroats. She was mildly entertained by that, at best.

5 or 6 trips or more to rivers and creeks. On the Colorado she hooked a beast and it broke off and that was all the action I could put her on for the day. She was generally bored but kinda enjoyed it. She was most entertained with the feeling of wading in waders while simultaneously stressed out about slipping.

She liked floating on a raft for obvious reasons, hardly fished, drank beer, and thoroughly enjoyed herself.

The best trip we had in Colorado was to a small creek where we casted dry flies to small fish in close pocket water. She caught a few, missed a few, I caught a few, and then we left way earlier than I would have liked (but I understood that this was going to be the case) and we had lunch in a mountain town on the way home.

You bring 2 rods (both for her) and you tie the knots, apply the floatant, re-rig the second rod while she fishes the first, and guide them very gently. It's not about catching fish or a commitment to "get good" at fly fishing so much as it is about them trying to understand why you are spending all this time doing it.

Her ideal trip is hands free fishing from a boat.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Used to take the wife on the boat. I troll most of the time. I did all the rigging and watched her rod as she would sit an read a book.

She stays home now. She brought up going once and I told her I don't want to baby sit a fishing partner.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Used to take the wife on the boat. I troll most of the time. I did all the rigging and watched her rod as she would sit an read a book.

She stays home now. She brought up going once and I told her I don't want to baby sit a fishing partner.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah I would be hesitant about it, but my wife enjoys fishing with the spinning rod. We have already spent a decent amount of time on the water together, I just have to get her to try a new technique.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe you'll have better weather next time! I think the most important thing as Luke said is to try to set her up for success. If she doesn't catch anything she's not likely to find much interest in it going forward.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

This is the way I handled my situation. My wife wasn't into fishing, she just wanted to go. I also believe people decide if they like something quickly, varies per individual.
Good Luck

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I think Tang nailed it.. Most wives want time with the hubby and communication. They tend to have a vision in their heads of this time, but that vision doesn't even include catching fish... it's more of an ideal afternoon of together time. Catching A fish or getting one to take is great, but that wouldn't be my main focus. I would be more focused on arranging such a fun afternoon of messing around that ended up on a blanket out of site of the trail :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts