Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
now if conditions would only improve

Just started throwing the eastern rod. I hope to get better success then the wind on the Ark dies down and they stop doing muddy stream improvements.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wind is the biggest nemisis with tenkara, but better the wind than cross-currents that western rod set ups fight more often.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry, man, but I just don't get the hype for Tenkara. There is very limited adaptability for different conditions with this method- can't use it in the wind, can't cast for any distance, can't strip streamers, can't..... Rather, it seems to be just a way for the practitioner to set him or herself apart from the crowd. In addition to using a Tenkara rod (or an equivalent cane pole), I would suggest that these folks also only fish from a paddle board (a truly idiotic craze) while sporting a fully extended "buff" and gloves (especially during overcast and rain) and top it off by carefully setting a Bruno Mars hat on their domes at a jaunty angle. That would pretty much provide them with a uniform for the grand slam of hipness that many seem to so desperately crave. And, oh yea, don't forget the GoPro mounted on a stick which is required gear for recording the epic, personal grandeur of their typically mundane adventures. I'm just an old fart who will continue to use traditional rods with their adaptability for various conditions and situations- such as stillwater fishing and big moving water. I also won't be heard rhapsodizing over 6" trout/"little gems"/"scrappy gamesters" in small, high country streams. On the other hand, I appreciate that some find peace and a zen completeness in their chosen methods and locations and even more appreciate that these folks are unlikely to interfere with my methodology or crowd my chosen venues for angling. For that reason alone, I always encourage those drawn to it to follow their alternate inclinations.

ratt

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wished for my Tenkara last night, when I just slipped down to a strange stream by my campground. The flow was down to just about 15 feet across to a back eddy that I just knew held a fish, but no way could I cast and mend quick enough to keep it from ripping it out of the eddy. If I had had my Tenkara I could have held it up off the water and maybe found the fishy that was lying over there on the other edge.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Rattman, what a sage purveyor of enlightened wisdom you are. Are you available for autographs?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sidenote...I don't actually Tenkara fish. I have done it a few times and it wasn't for me.

That being said, the long nymph and switch rods that fly rod companies are coming out with these days kind of bridge the gap between the long rod with the ability to cast further and play a larger fish easier.

I have been fishing the switch 4 wt Redington Dually and it has been really fun for this type of high stick drifting. I gave it a shot and found that I like using a reel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the advice about throwing your rod in the water with a big fish that I read out of "Simple Fly Fishing: Techniques for Tenkara and Rod and Reel" was wrong? Man, f-u Craig Matthews and Yvon Chouinard.

(This advice is actually in this book, with pictures!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14JKYASZSJJKSQWA2MVE

Yes, this method is unecessary. If you do hook into a large fish, your landing tactics must be different. You wont be able to lead/guide the fish as much as a smaller one. A couple of key points are: if it runs, attempt to go with it slightly (this is to relieve rod and line pressure but still adjust to keep the line tension viable), use your free hand to brace the lowest section of the rod (just above the handle, this is to avoid when the fish runs hard to tilt the rod forward by sheer force thus creating more hard pressure from different angles on the tip sections), and if you know you're getting into large fish- use the right equipment and possibly bring a buddy.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sorry, man, but I just don't get the hype for Tenkara. There is very limited adaptability for different conditions with this method- can't use it in the wind, can't cast for any distance, can't strip streamers, can't..... Rather, it seems to be just a way for the practitioner to set him or herself apart from the crowd. In addition to using a Tenkara rod (or an equivalent cane pole), I would suggest that these folks also only fish from a paddle board (a truly idiotic craze) while sporting a fully extended "buff" and gloves (especially during overcast and rain) and top it off by carefully setting a Bruno Mars hat on their domes at a jaunty angle. That would pretty much provide them with a uniform for the grand slam of hipness that many seem to so desperately crave. And, oh yea, don't forget the GoPro mounted on a stick which is required gear for recording the epic, personal grandeur of their typically mundane adventures. I'm just an old fart who will continue to use traditional rods with their adaptability for various conditions and situations- such as stillwater fishing and big moving water. I also won't be heard rhapsodizing over 6" trout/"little gems"/"scrappy gamesters" in small, high country streams. On the other hand, I appreciate that some find peace and a zen completeness in their chosen methods and locations and even more appreciate that these folks are unlikely to interfere with my methodology or crowd my chosen venues for angling. For that reason alone, I always encourage those drawn to it to follow their alternate inclinations.

ratt
Are you that guy that drives 55mph in the 65 zone in your beater Subaru, creating a huge traffic jam, and then flips off everyone that passes you? I think I saw you on I-70 the other day...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you that guy that drives 55mph in the 65 zone in your beater Subaru, creating a huge traffic jam, and then flips off everyone that passes you? I think I saw you on I-70 the other day...
Sounds like Ratt's post struck a nerve! Did your GoPro run out of batteries last trip, right when that pasty 14" stocker was close to net (the one referred to as 19" in the video commentary)? Did your buff blow off and leave you with bad hair in that video before the battery died? God forbid ... did you fall off the paddleboard batlling that monster?!

Never ridden with Ratt, but I can tell you that if he drives his truck like he drove the blue rocket (his old boat), he'd be the guy patiently waiting behind you on I-70 for you to finally pass that effing Suby so he could get around you.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Woooooo weeeeee! People are getting SERVED in this thread! I'll check back in another 4 weeks to see the scathing retorts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts