Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the Teton from Tenkara Rod Co. The simplicity and thoughts of winter nymphing without a reel had me sold..

Well for winter fishing the braided line collects alot of ice and becomes unfishable...

Might have to try a section of regulat floating line next winter.

But it rocks for nymphing! that 11 feet of rod and the light braided line make it easy to get good long drifts in spots that were tough to fish with my 8 1/2 ft 5 wt. should be great for dries too.

So I have now found a simpler way to carry two rods.. It collapses down to 20 inches and slides right into my hip pack. I can now have streamers rigged on my 5 wt all summer and a second rod rigged for nymphs and dries! without worrying as much about putting one down and losing or stepping on it..

Yeah my path to simplicity led to yet another piece of gear to carry around the river.. lol:D

PS there is a 20% discount at tenkara rod co. the teton package comes out to about $150 and has all the stuff to set up the rod. put in tenkara20 in the coupon box.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's a slippery slope you are heading down....what's next spey? bamboo??

Then again, I might be going "retro" and trying out some glass in the near future..all the kids are doing it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already own a 3 wt Orvis superfine glass rod.. I love it.. I even put together a box with small light streamers I could cast with the short little noodle.. I took that little rod out night fishing for browns with small foam poppers. It was a blast.

I have been looking around at fiberglass blanks. Thinking of rolling one of my own like the cool kids are doing.. lol

It is a slippery slope indeed. Now that I have a few sticks from 3- 8 wt I am starting to think about getting another 5 wt or two in different lenghts/wt for different conditions. Maybe another 3 wt too. I have a dufflebag full of fly boxes........ But I keep tying more.. Also trying to save up for a fishing/ww raft and trailer.. Which will call for even more stuff i want..

THe struggle is real. lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes indeed a slippery slope. I started out with Fenwick 5wt back in 1985 when I went from fishing with a fly and a bubble on my spinning rod. Graduated to several other 5wts, two 8 wts (all graphite). Have a 3wt stowaway rod from Cabelas that is a hoot. Went to a bamboo fair in Oregon and soon found out how expensive that could be. At the fair tried a couple of glass rods that someone had brought. Decided that was a cheaper way to go - went and bought a 3wt Loomis glass rod but really haven't given it a fair chance. Have used it a couple of times fishing for small brookies on the Little Cimarron River here on the west slope. Have thought about a spey rod but then that will get me into tying spey flies and not sure where I would use them here in Colorado. Haven't looked into Tenkara rods but it sounds like fly dapping to me which could be fun in the right circumstances (high alpine lake dapping from a rock overhang (Snowmass Lake for example).

Yes indeed a slippery slope!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah I have been looking pretty hard at a 686 Epic blank. It would be right around 400 with 10% off if you sign up with them...they have free shipping in March as well...

Could be a pretty fun dedicated streamer/warm water rod.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have 3 old glass rods from my dad and a neighbor from the old hood back east. I think they are all 6 or 7 weights. I think one is a 6/7weight Abu Garcia? need to string up some reels with 6 and 7 wt and try them out. or maybe get some extra spools for the reel on the 8 wt. Might have a fun carp or streamer rod... about 5 or six spools so I can get some sinking lines......... I should get a bigger duffle bag too. maybe one with wheels........ and some extra bags i can put on the pontoon boat..... Or maybe a newer nicer pontoon boat with a motor and electronics.... and that raft.. Aire Super Puma with a fishing frame.. They have some spey classes at st pete's.. Might be fun to swing spey flies at the reef or mile.. Colorado river.. Definitely need that raft.....:jaw::lol::eyebrows:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bought a 5wt, 11'6" switch late last summer. Had it up on the Mile and Reef twice and it is a blast. Swinging flies is definitely a lot of fun and the casting (which I am not great at yet!) keeps you busy. I do not think I want to go the tenkara direction but to each his own.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I first started fly fishing, I put an egg hook on the end with a piece of worm on it and drifted it down stream. Worked great for Brookies. I bet one of those rods would work fine for worm fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts