Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a sure fire way to test knot straight. If anyone ever watches the show north American fisherman; every week they have a segment called knot wars(Or something like that) where they put 2 knots head to head and test their breaking strength. I've been using a new knot the past few years and while Ive never had it fail Id still like to know how it stacks up to the other more popular knots.

Any ideas?
[me=JAY] [/me]

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Next week on the show they are pitting the Palomar against the Trilene. Cant wait to see that!

On a more serious note: How pathetic is my life that I look forward to seeing the next knot war? :(

Somebody shoot me.

GAAAA!!!!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
you could also use an old hand scale, tieing one end to a unmovable object and the other end to your fifty pond hand scale and start pulling, till it breaks!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The point I was getting at is they are only testing the more popular knots. I guess I could rig something up and see.
[me=JAY] [/me]

·
Registered
163 Posts
That won't work... There are two (main) aspects of knot strength. There is what I call "static strength". That is, hang a weight supported by the knot and see at what weight it breaks. And there is "dynamic strength" (again, my own term). That is, take a weight supported by a knot and drop the weight a fixed distance. Basically, you're testing a "jerk". Knots will behave differently in these two scenarios.

Tying the line to a "fifty pond hand scale" and pulling will result in testing some combination of static strength and dynamic strength and will almost certainly not be repeatable.

One of these days I'll make up a knot testing rig and do some of these tests. Could be fun, if a bit nerdy.

-David

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DavidK said:
One of these days I'll make up a knot testing rig and do some of these tests. Could be fun, if a bit nerdy.
If you do Id be interested in trying some knots
[me=JAY] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
I agree with DavidK,, but I think the scale and pull method would work for most purposes.

You need a scale with a slide stop so you can tell exactly how far the scale pulled before the line broke.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A scale for testing the draw pull on a bow would work. They have a slide stop and go up to 80 or a 100 pounds. Wouldn't work for lower pound test, but would with higher pound test.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The industry standard instrument for testing tensile strength of materials (and knots) is an Instron tensile strength testing machine. I notice the "knot wars" TV series has one.

You can buy one used, for $13,000 to $15,000 depending on the accessories with it.

;D

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
A surgeons loop(double loop) has incredible strength in any line that I have tried, and its easy to tie. Just leave enough loop to accept the item at the end of the line. (the swivel, hook, or lure must fit through the loop.) Its easy to take a bait off it as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts