Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right place for this report. If not mods will you please move it.

I went down to Falcon Lake last week for 2 days of fishing. It was 2 totally different days.

Day 1

Wind 25-35 mph out of the North.
Air Temp 55-70 degrees
Water temp 60-62 degrees

We could only go to one place because of the wind. It was up the river (Rio Grande). I was a little concerned because of the wind and plunging temps but my guide just smiled and said "don't worry I have a few spots in this area that I leave for days like this" I have done my share of guided fishing trips and I must say this guide was hands down the best guide I have ever had. He knows this lake like nobody else. He told me he has "600 GPS spots on his computer at home for Falcon".

We were using texas rigged flukes and brush hogs. The guide (Tommy)was def concentrating on points with rock bottoms and drop offs. The first 2 spots we didn't get a bite but we didn't stay long either. As we are going Tommy is telling me about why we are fishng each spot and some random info about the lake.

On the 3rd spot I throw my 8 or 9 inch brush hog across a rocky point peppered with mesquite trees. I start to drag it on the bottom real slow. I feel a small "tick" on my line I reel down and set the hook. LOLOLOL My rod doubles over...... it's a big fish.... how big? I find out about 2 seconds later as she errupts 3 feet out of the water. HUGE! My guide Tommy starts laughing and tells me in his southern twang "Hold on she's fixing to make a run on ya". I hold on with both hands for dear life. This bass was pulling harder then some of the 15+ pike I have caught. We get her to the boat and it's the biggest bass I have ever caught.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Roughly 8 1/2 pounds

Through out the day we caught many fish . Lots of them were over 5 pounds. We flipped some trees, we threw spinnerbaits up shallow, and we dragged flukes. It was an insane day. Tommy and I both lost giants we never saw. I set the hook on one fish and i had absolutey no control over where she went and she just ran me right in to a bush in 12 feet of water. Tommy had the same thing happen a few minutes later.

Tommy was explaining to me that with the water up this high there are coves that are literally miles deep that are completely inexcessable by boat becasue of the trees. He told me when he was a lot younger he used to take his bass boat in as far as he could and then get his belly boat out and go way back into these coves. I can't even imagine.

Here is another heavy 7.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The next day was not nearly as good. I had a different guide and he was great but was not as good as my first guide.The high for the day was 47 and I know it didn't even get close to that. I did catch 2 heavy 4 pounders and i had about a 6 pounder on but she came unbuttoned.

I would recommend that anybody that is thinking about going to Falcon Lake do it you will not regret it. You can basically throw all kinds of lures but def target rocky bottoms. If you find rock you will find fish and they will be big. Also if anybody has a bass boat and wants to go down there for a couple of days and wants a fishing partner just PM me. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I did have a boat right nexgt me on the second day that had 4 guys in it and they all had AR-15 and Kevlar suits. Thank god it was the Border patrol. They turned us around on the second day because my guide was taking me up the Rio Grande. They said "it was not a good day to go up the river" lol

I felt completely safe the entire time though. On either side of the lake.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Very cool, nice bass!

Out of curiosity, your guide was fishing? Was this up front that he would fish also? Is that typical for bass style guides to do?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes my guide fished as well. He did sit up front but he did not fish as hard as I have had other guides fish. He has to sit up front unless you want to run the trolling motor. He did however leave plenty of spots for me to pitch my lure.

I think if you actually told any guide that you would rather they not fish they would not fish at all but a lot of times they are trying to figure out what lure the fish want, where they are, and how to present it to them. I have had days where the fishing is pretty tough so the guide is changing lures trying to figure it out and soon as he gets bit he is giving that lure to me to use and trying a different one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been lucky to fish Falcon a few days the last couple of years. The people in the city of Zapata are very friendly. Mr. Law is an amazing guide (if I not mistaken he broke the lake record a while back with one well over 15). Plus you are on the number one bass fishing lake in the country. The place is literally heaven for a bass fisherman. I have walked some streets in L.A. where I felt much less comfortable than at Falcon. A little bad publicity has hurt a real good community. Very nice pics. Congrats on an amazing trip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
By the way what do you think will win this weekends Bass Champs? I wished I could have made it down but it's a tough time with school. Bet the boys find the biguns with the weather stabilizing. I think the best five will go around 45 pounds, but I could see them breaking 50. I know Charlie and those locals have done it before.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amistad10 said:
By the way what do you think will win this weekends Bass Champs? I wished I could have made it down but it's a tough time with school. Bet the boys find the biguns with the weather stabilizing. I think the best five will go around 45 pounds, but I could see them breaking 50. I know Charlie and those locals have done it before.
I think (weather permitting) it will take at least 40 pounds to win it this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hooked 50 pounds worth of fish but it's hard not to have something go wrong with a ten pound bass. lol I know there are spots out there where if everything lines up right you just pull one 8 pounder after another out.

The lake is ...... well there simply is nothing like it when it's on like it is right now and i keep getting told that it is going to be this good or better for the next 3-4 years because of the water level. I will be back that's for sure.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Crap am I jealous! Why can't colorado have a lake like that!!!!!!!!!!!?
Because Florida strain LM dont do well below 50 degree water...
and really HATE ICE CAPPED H20..... >:D

BTW, nice fish....from the thousands of jealous anglers reading this. ;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts