Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday the wife was out of town, chores done, I have about four hours to go play on the river... Get layered up, fill the flask, plenty of water, and a couple other goodies for the water. I leave much of my equipment in my car including a rod or two rigged in my rod carrier in my van. About half way to the river, I notice there is only one rod in the holder. I pull over and my Winston is gone. Nothing else gone...just my 5wt. There are other rods, a backpack etc in the car, so it is unlikely that someone broke in, but my car was left open one night.

After thinking about it, I got interrupted while packing up my stuff during the last trip to the river... I guess I left the rod on the top of my car or something. Anyhow, it's gone. Calling the insurance company today. SUCKS!!!

So if you found a sweet set up by reservoir rd in Pueblo, I beg you, contact me.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Re: That sinking feeling.

Weak my friend....highly weak. Slightly worse than leaving your mcdonalds coffee on top of your car and driving away....but better than leaving the baby seat with baby included on the top of the car.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

That sucks.....I hate when stuff like that happens, don't know why you don't get a car top carrier since you live so close.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Koldkut said:
That sucks.....I hate when stuff like that happens, don't know why you don't get a car top carrier since you live so close.
One is in the works....

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, the insurance carrier has not called me yet. I called the police and explained that the rod was gone, and may have been lost, but only the rod was taken. They said to still file a report because that type of theft has been reported in the area of late. I am also going to check my car for anything else that might be missing. That said, there was a second rod in the rack that was still there.

I am pretty frustrated at this point. I love that rod.

·
Registered
752 Posts

That sucks Jason! Whether you left it out or it was stolen the fact is that it is not there when you needed it! Hope it shows up someway or somehow, bro!

·
Registered
20 Posts

I was out there last night and didn't see anything. I'll keep an eye out for it tomorrow when I head back out. Hope you find it, that really sucks.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks everyone... I decided to not follow through with an insurance claim. I just can't be certain that I didn't lose it. Someone may have taken it, but I just don't know why they wouldn't take more...

Anyhow.. Lame if it was stolen... Lame if I lost it... Lesson learned.

Thanks again..

·
Registered
382 Posts

I know it doesn't help you but every time I read one of these it makes me more aware of what I am doing at leaving time. So thanks for posting and making us more aware.

Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts

Sorry to hear that, that is a real bummer :mad:

I did the same thing with my camera last year at Deckers. Lost a bunch of family vacation photos. I was sick. I can only imagine how I would feel if I lost my fly rod.

If someone stole it that is even worse :-[

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

I put my rod on top of my car, drove off, realized it, whipped a Uey. That's when my rod fell off and got run over by another car. It was an hour later when I found my rod and reel in shambles.

THANK GOD FOR WARRANTIES!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Just to be safe and get the serial number on record, I made a police report. They said that there were several similar thefts in my neighborhood on Thursday night... Not sure what to do.

I do know I am going to ISE on Friday to cast the new BIIIx (hope Winston is there)... And any other rods... Maybe a Scott A3. We'll see.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So glad they did this. I have read their review from three or four years back a bunch of times. They are pretty dead on, but they definately penalize rods for not being fast, which, In my opinion sucks. They also do not factor in how the rod fights fish. I think that is the most overlooked aspect of a rod.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts