Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's beginning to warm up (ok half of the time) and every spring my dad and I hear about the good smallie fishing at Horsetooth. We're more the trout kind of guys, but bass are the most fun to get into. Problem is, we never do very well. We have a boat, so location isn't an issue. If anyone could help with any of the following questions, you'll be my hero.
1. What times are best?
2. Where do the fish tend to hang out in the spring?
3. Is there a water temperature way to predict fish location?
4. Baits?
Sorry for being so inquisitive, but I work second shift and I'm tired of getting my dumb ass up early on Saturdays to get skunked.

Thanks,
vc

·
Registered
664 Posts
My experience last year at Horsetooth was that due to the drain and the dam work, most of the smallmouths were gone and had been restocked. I caught a lot of tiny (6-8") smallies last year so I dont know if I would even target Horsetooth for smallies until they have a chance to grow up.

There are many resources for smallmouth fishing...try a search on this forum for one. I have had good luck for smallies in Horsetooth in the Santanka (north) bay area and also around the furthest north dam on the west side (can't remember the name...soldier maybe) use spinners, crankbaits, crayfish imitators, tubes, whatever...look for points, large rocky areas and structure adjacent to deep water. you may find walleyes where you find smallmouth.
Most of my smallmouth experience at Horsetooth is in the early to mid summer.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
It's west of La Porte, just before you get to Bellvue; also, directly north of Horsetooth Res. up CR 23.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the info.

Does Watson have boat access? Not that it would deter us, I just don't want to show up with an 18' boat and look the fool.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
No, you can't put in a boat at Watson, you just have to walk around the edge and cast from shore. But it's a pretty pleasant area to be in.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
How about some exact spots? I want to be in somebody's bootprints 'cause its so much easier than thinking for yourself.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Hard to describe exact spots on that lake, but I prefer the northern half of the lake along the northeast side.

·
Registered
578 Posts
vc5150 said:
Thanks to all for the info. 

Does Watson have boat access?  Not that it would deter us, I just don't want to show up with an 18' boat and look the fool.
You can take a belly boat! ;D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have seen guys on Watson in belly boats before. I fished there ALOT two summers ago and got skunked every time. I guess I'll try again.

Hope I can find your guys bootprints. >:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
we fished the full moon open tournament at horsetooth last year did ok (14th) on smallies but did not get a hold of any largemouth on our boat. the teams that landed 1 or 2 largemouth won it we had 5 fish limit but without a couple largemouth's the weight was not there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts