Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the History Channel's "Top Shot" show/competition. Also, there was a recent thread about "conceal & carry". Thought of this topic.

When John Browning perfected his semi-automatic .45 ACP pistol (officially adopted by the army in 1911), no one could have known or predicted that a century later it would still be one of the most popular and highly regarded handguns on the market. Truly a stunning achievement in the history of firearms design.

Anyone out there own one? How 'bout posting a pic? How about comments on your particular model and why you like/don't like it?

Here's mine:

Para-Ordnance Para Carry C6.45 LDA (Light Double Action)

I finally bought this while working at Galyan's (now Dick's) in Broomfield, after eying it for a number of months. Obviously I had CC in mind, but with just a 3" barrel others told me it would undoubtedly kick like a mule. I'm glad I overcame my apprehensions, b/c I'm fully happy with it, and have never felt it has excessive recoil at all. It's weight helps balance it nicely. I also added night sights. BTW, they changed the appearance of the gun the following year, and I've always much preferred the model I snagged. (grin)

Thought it might be fun to see & hear about other 1911's out there in the CF-world. Any Colts? Kimbers? Glocks? Springfields? Sig Sauers? HK? S&W? etc. -- commemorating Browning's genius a hundred years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Thats a pretty neat gun Hop, I've never seen that particular model. I don't have one myself, but my dad recently aquired a Colt Gold Cup MarkIV that I can't wait to shoot! Someday I'll own an origional government issue Colt, as well as a match grade version.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
None for me....yet. But I have long lived the 1911 .45. Such a great and reliable hand gun. I've shot a few of my friends', but I still don't have one of my own. Soon though. I'm thinking Colt or Kimber (Droid Autocorrectfail), maybe Springfield Armory.

Nice lookin 1911, Hop.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shutupandfish said:
... Colt Gold Cup MarkIV ...
Yeah, Chaz, depending on the model, they look a lot like my Para ... a lot. One difference is that the Para Carry has a flush hammer and 'bobbed' beavertail for easier CC purposes. Then the triggers aren't the same, not to mention the action (the Colt being single-action - like almost all 1911's, whereas mine is double). For the benefit of readers of this column, here are a couple images of your dad's gun (not knowing what style he has):

Both Colt Gold Cup Mark IV .45's

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:
... Such a great and reliable hand gun. I've shot a few of my friends ...
This sounded funny on first reading, Kenny! :D

J/k, I saw your apostrophe -- and am proud to be called one of your friends. ;)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, new episode of "Top Shot" tonight at 8:00 pm (History Channel) for any interested in checking it out. Last week's was the best installment of the season, I thought. I'm pulling for either Joe or Jamie.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a couple Kimbers, an Old Ultra Carry and a Pro Raptor plus a Springfield Loaded in a fullsize.
I have had a Gold Cup, Delta Elite 10MM, and a Para Limited. I traded the Gold Cup for the Ultra, The Delta didn't impress me, and the Para was to big and heavy when loaded and carrying a spare mag.
I put a 22 Kimber Conversion on my Raptor and it is an amazingly accurate rimfire.
For carry I have pretty much switched to a Glock 19, small, simple, light, and ample power with capacity.
The 1911 is still an amazing weapon, hope it lasts another century.

W

·
0 Posts
I have a stainless Mark IV Series 80. It sure looks sweet, but my Sig 245 will clean its clock when it comes to accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Hop said:
shutupandfish said:
... Colt Gold Cup MarkIV ...
Yeah, Chaz, depending on the model, they look a lot like my Para ... a lot. One difference is that the Para Carry has a flush hammer and 'bobbed' beavertail for easier CC purposes. Then the triggers aren't the same, not to mention the action (the Colt being single-action - like almost all 1911's, whereas mine is double). For the benefit of readers of this column, here are a couple images of your dad's gun (not knowing what style he has):

Both Colt Gold Cup Mark IV .45's
I was wondering if that Para was hammerless or what, the flush hammer seems like it would be much better for concealed carry. I also think the double action feature on your gun would be nice to have!

My dad's has grips just like the first one, but it has a blued finish.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shutupandfish said:
I also think the double action feature on your gun would be nice to have!
I think you'd like it even more if you shot it. A very knowledgeable gun guy at Sportsman's, who has shot a million guns over the years, said "a dream" when he felt how smooth the pull was. Also, you don't have to ever worry people ever being nervous around you the way you might if someone sees a cocked single-action in your holster with the hammer pulled back. Kinda nice.

BTW, here's how they changed the look of the Para Carry the year after I bought mine.

To each his own, and it's all right, but for my own taste a step down in style.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i have owned many a 1911 but my favorite one is the one i have now and i think you will see why in the pics

the first 2 pics where shot at 25 yards standing offhand

and the amazing thing is that the gun is worth atleast 2 times what i paid for it in quality alone

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
azbassernco said:
i have owned many a 1911 but my favorite one is the one i have now and i think you will see why in the pics
Well don't leave us hanging ... what make & model is it? (Nice shooting, btw.)

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Hop, in light of the 'other' thread, I do have to ask...such a hardline stance on Mary Jane, but approval of guns?

Hand guns in particular, were designed for one purpose only, to kill other men. Or to be more specific to this thread, the .45 caliber was designed to kill other men. After many trials, it was determined that the .45 round had the most effective 'stopping' power...i.e., one shot kill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

Easier to justify killing another man, over using a 'drug' that has been approved for medical use?

Not pushing buttons, or making accusations (maybe a little), but I would like to know your thoughts....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts