Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been wondering if downriggers are helpful here in colorado? Has anyone done a lot of downrigger fishing around the denver area? Not being able to ice fish because of back problems has me stir crazy and I am trying to invent new ways to occupy my time this ice season

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
discloco said:
Ive been wondering if downriggers are helpful here in colorado? Has anyone done a lot of downrigger fishing around the denver area? Not being able to ice fish because of back problems has me stir crazy and I am trying to invent new ways to occupy my time this ice season
They're very helpful for kokanee trolling.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I know somebody that used to use them to pull big tandem spinner baits 25 feet down at Pueblo to catch big wipers...out on Boggs flat...I think it is called Boggs...

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
downriggers can be used for any species and are the best thing to use if you want to troll at a controlled depth, I've caught rainbow, kokanee, laketrout, wipers, carp, walleye and bass with them when I used to troll here. In Alaska I use them in the saltwater trolling for salmon but also catch rock fish halibut and cod with them by accident.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've had two for a couple years and love them for Walleyes, kokes, lakers, etc..... Well worth the money, and not hard to use.

Crk

·
Registered
681 Posts
Decide at what depth you will be using the Downriggers...let that help you decide it you want electric or manual downriggers.....a manual downrigger will meet the majority of your needs in CO.

Decide if your back problem is going to affect your use of a manual operation.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If you fish solo or fish with people who don't follow directions well.
I would buy one electric downrigger instead of two manuals.
It can get busy trying to handle the boat and two manual downriggers.
You can always add another rig when you want.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discloco - Fine choice of downriggers. I have the manual Cannon Mag 10s and love them. I think you'll find the manual downrigger easy to use with little effort. You will enjoy your new advantage! Good luck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know crap about them. I used them with terre on granby and we pounded the smaller lakers.... had to keep adjusting depth though to not run them in the rocks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
F.F Woodycooks - You are right in the fact that they can be pain in a way. If you are fishing very close to the bottom then you have to really pay attention. There is a solution for that too - Cannon makes some electric downriggers that connect to a fish finder and they automatically adjust to the bottom. Those would prolly be the ticket for laker fishing (I wouldn't know because I do not target lakers often). The downriggers that auto adjust with the finder are expensive - $1,000 each I believe!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discloco - It depends on the boat. Is it aluminum or fiberglass? When I installed the downriggers on my Tracker I added 1/4 sub-flooring in the rear deck of the boat. On my Lund I just used the Sporttrak bracket. There are many ways to mount the downriggers. Give a little more information.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The bottom tracking downriggers have been around a long time, I had a pair on one of my boats in the early 90s and used them a few years but as Slayer stated then you have to troll and I enjoy other type of fishing much more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts