·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That sucks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's flowed that color more than once.... and to think it won't happen again would be mistake
While true... it has not necessarily been 1 millon gallons of toxic sludge all at once before. Hopefully it won't have any lasting effects.

I am hoping this will be a sign to the EPA (who caused this while doing tests) that the Animas needs to get cleaned up pronto.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Please do keep us posted. I heading that way on Saturday for close to a week. I was really hoping to fish the Animas. Oh well looks like 2 days on the Juan and head north.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I walked down to the river at 2:30 and it hadn't reached 11th street yet. I'm afraid of what I'll see when I head home. Macman and I were planning to whip it to a froth with our flailsticks tomorrow. Major bummer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I walked down to the river at 2:30 and it hadn't reached 11th street yet. I'm afraid of what I'll see when I head home. Macman and I were planning to whip it to a froth with our flailsticks tomorrow. Major bummer.
For sure, hopefully it looks worse than it is. I took a walk on the river trail about an hour ago and the sludge had not reached town (4:30ish) Saw lots of fish chowing emerging caddis...hoping that isn't the last time I see that in a while.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This sucks!!!!! The animas hosts some HUGE browns. Hope it moves through quick and has minimal impact.

There are mining "ponds" all over this state. Most have been there for 100 years and many have been or are in the process of being reclaimed, mostly by volunteer organizations, donated monies and a few grants. Now, I think this falls squarely on the shoulders of the EPA and, if warranted, should just consider punitive damages to the fishery, agriculture, and other recreational industries in the effected area as part of its budget next year. No extra dollars! All out of the EPA's discretionary spending budget.

Oh wait...they're exempt from mistakes unlike you and me and any private organization. Time to pull the EPA's teeth.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Browns are pretty tough when it comes to sediment and higher temps so hopefully they make it thru...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I was listening to the radio and it was kinda funny because they were saying there was a creek that is connected to the animas that would certainly get some of the pollution but not to worry because the creek is so polluted already that there aren't any fish in there as it is haha. I was like oh that's comforting.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Well never mind it sure looks like it is toast...thats horrible from what I saw on 9 news...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was listening to the radio and it was kinda funny because they were saying there was a creek that is connected to the animas that would certainly get some of the pollution but not to worry because the creek is so polluted already that there aren't any fish in there as it is haha. I was like oh that's comforting.
Yeah, thanks for the knowledge jeniuses. haha

It's like people forget that water flows downriver...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts