Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I casted a lot of rods while at the show and only two impressed me. I wasn't able to cast the NRX, but I did see them there at a booth, high ticket price for wrap work that wasn't the greatest, but they also didn't try to hide anything using size D thread and a high contrast color wrap on the rod. I stopped and threw two Sage rods, neither one stood out, one was slower one was faster, didn't remember the models because they didn't pop in my hand as being anything that would improve my game. Even the freshwater Hydros didn't impress me. St. Croix's new Bank Robber did though. Unlike most rods, this rod has an extra fast tip and a mid speed mid section. When you flex it, the rod looks similar to a mag bass casting rod in that only the top 20" or so flexes over initially, super fast. It's their Streamer rod that was designed with input from Kelly Galloup. It's sick! Even though St. Croix doesn't sell this blank, I want one, even if it is a factory rod. The other rod I liked was the saltware hydros, I casted both the fresh and saltwater versions in 6wt and the saltwater rod was completely different. After seeing the two rods, and holding them against the helios, I'd go with the hydros for the money, I didn't see too much of a difference that I'd want to shell out the extra dough.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
human cannonball said:
Interesting. What "flex number" Hydros 6wts. (Salt v. Fresh) did you cast?
Don't know, they didn't have but 30 rods there, and I just asked for a 6wt to cast, another guy at the pond had the 6wt salt so we traded off for a few casts.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Koldkut said:
human cannonball said:
Interesting. What "flex number" Hydros 6wts. (Salt v. Fresh) did you cast?
Don't know, they didn't have but 30 rods there, and I just asked for a 6wt to cast, another guy at the pond had the 6wt salt so we traded off for a few casts.
You might have had a mid-flex fresh and a tip-flex salt. They have different flex designations. I asked because I thought the only difference between the fresh and salt rods was the reel seat/fighting butt. (not sure at all about that)

Just curious. Thanks for the review of the St. Croix!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
KK, I got your PM... Thanks.

I can't wait to try the bankrobber... I was interested the moment I found out about that rod. That said, I chucked my 6wt Sage RPL yesterday and that thing still owns streamer casting.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rickabilly said:
I casted it three separate times at the show, and all I can say is wow! I have not coveted something like this in a long time.
Glad I'm not the only one, that rod is magical, it has the same spiritual power and glow to it that S_L's Brown Suga does.......simply amazing rod....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mr. Gallup features this rod on his TV show on Versus Channel. It's a good show where he fishes big western river, usually with streamers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts