Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, so I get to a good spot yesterday on the river and there are a boat load of risers because the BWOs are popping. I tie on a dry and with in a few casts I got my first fish on. A couple of minutes later I have a second one on and he breaks my tippet not because he's huge, but because I really need new tippet. Anyway, I'm tying on a new fly when I look up and see that all of a sudden the river has come up like a foot! There are no more BWOs and no more fish rising. A few minutes later it's a fricking muddy torrent. Man, that sucks. They just had to release the water out of the reservoir while I was in the middle of a sick hatch! I was pissed!Made getting back to the other bank a bit tricky too. Ever had that happen to you?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Had that happen to me once, only I was eating lunch on the bank about a mile from camp. Needless to say, the fishing was poor for several hours while the water was choc milk. Getting back to camp was tricky too since the only way required several criss-crosses of the river. Fishing was pretty good again about 4-6 hours later though as the water began to clear up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's amazing trout even survive in the Poudre. It can be trickling one day and roaring the next. Don't understand why they can't lower HT gradually over several weeks instead of doing it all at once. Guess I just don't see the big picture - ::)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wonder if there are any studies on the degree of flow change over time vs. a fish's stress level and/or death death rate.

Anyone know the answer to this or where to find it?

Could be an interesting study.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My guess is you were in town... the river in town is hardly natural flow. They just closed a gate to irrigation or something. This has happened to me before in town, it sure does hut the fish off for a bit.

The river will be big now for a while, making room in HT for runoff which is bearing down on us very soon. It is sure to be a monster on the Poudre this year as well. Talked to a snow researcher the other day and with the SWE (snow water equivalent) up high we will be looking at something around 6,400 cfs. biggest in 30+ yrs. As well the snow is all located in a very short elevation interval so when it goes it should come all at once.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FlyArcher said:
My guess is you were in town... the river in town is hardly natural flow. They just closed a gate to irrigation or something. This has happened to me before in town, it sure does hut the fish off for a bit.

The river will be big now for a while, making room in HT for runoff which is bearing down on us very soon. It is sure to be a monster on the Poudre this year as well. Talked to a snow researcher the other day and with the SWE (snow water equivalent) up high we will be looking at something around 6,400 cfs. biggest in 30+ yrs. As well the snow is all located in a very short elevation interval so when it goes it should come all at once.
OH, f ing great man! Yeah, you are correct on all counts. They are pushing 1400 out of the reservoir right now to make room for run off. Why they don't do it gradually is beyond me. I guess they wait and see what is what? Anyway, I'll probably have to start hitting the ponds for blue gill and bass over the next few weeks. I thought 4500 last year was sick, but 6400. Insane. That's gonna flood some shitaki!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts