Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my brother inlaw up fishing above estes park this morning ......it was pretty consistant with thomas boyants and colorado lures ......water is gin clear and running slow above lake estes here are a few pictures ....

Nice rainbow that hit a colorado ......

biggest one of the day ....Fish was released after pic

needed to get a pic of my fishin buddy tyler on here !!!

Picture of the big T

A brown me and tyler caught on the big T

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got the pics wrong ....that first one obviously hit a thomas boyant !!!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great pictures, That big rainbow looks very healthy.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks epic ...does anyone know why their tails were all worn down ?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing that sucks about this location is that I've been fishing it for years this was one of the spots my late gradfather used to take me to . Some developer bought the land and built condo's on it now some dude kicked me off . I tried to explain to him how important this stretch of water was to me and then showed him the trashbag I filled with other people's garbage he looked at me like I was trash myself....I then showed him the pics of all the fish I caught and released and he still was an a$$ . That big fish was my last cast into the spot I've fished with my grandpa, and my dad . It was really a sour ending to a great morning but what can you do . I remeber the spot vividly in my mind with nothing there no path, no condo's, nothing just the river and the woods . As cheesy as it sounds sometimes when I go there I can smell my grandpa its a spot that is really near and dear to my heart

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Find someone that lives in the condos and offer to teach them or their kids to fish and take them there.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might just try that ...I really dont understand how a river that runs through a housing development it private

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fishinguitars said:
I might just try that ...I really dont understand how a river that runs through a housing development it private
Got to love Colorado... From what I hear though they have to have it marked otherwise it isnt tresspassing

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
fishinguitars said:
Got to love Colorado... From what I hear though they have to have it marked otherwise it isnt tresspassing
in colorado it is the other way around land owners have no responsability to post their land it is up to us to know the ownership and status of the land i think you can find a quote in the hunting regs brochure

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
ePiC said:
fishinguitars said:
in colorado it is the other way around land owners have no responsability to post their land it is up to us to know the ownership and status of the land i think you can find a quote in the hunting regs brochure
Right, but all they can do is ask you to leave if it isnt posted.. you cant get a ticket is what I'm saying.
I know I was just reading this somewhere let me look for it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
maybe the first time around but in CO ignorance is not a defense and if a land owner want to go to the hassel of pressing charges they will stick but it is a pain for the land owner to do it they have to get confirmation of identity and of the tresspass ie witnesses and or fotos license plate #'s and actualy get the cops out there to file a complaint it aint easy but if they want to be pricks they can make your life misserable with court dates and fines and POINTS AGAINST YOU LICENSE lots of points if you are fishing or hunting while tresspassing and sometimes all they need to say you were fishing or hunting is that you have a license

i just recently went thru this with some folks that were crossing my land on a regular basis after the sheriff explained what i would need to do i asked him to talk to the folks and it stopped but next time its fotos and a formal complaint

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ok the post came from a DOW guy on the Westernanglers.com message board:

Here is a partial list of some of the regulations governing private property. This is what I found during a quick search, so there may be additional laws or regulations that cover this issue.

I'm not an attorney or a law enforcement officer, so don't rely solely on this information to keep you from getting cited or arrested. I'll post any additional items I find.

Some non-essential (IMHO) subsections have been pulled to shorten the post. You can lookup the complete sections at the state website http://www.colorado.gov (go to legislature and Colorado Revised Statutes).

Hope this helps. Sorry for the long post.

18-4-502. First degree criminal trespass.
A person commits the crime of first degree criminal trespass if such person knowingly and unlawfully enters or remains in a dwelling of another or if such person enters any motor vehicle with intent to commit a crime therein. First degree criminal trespass is a class 5 felony.

18-4-503. Second degree criminal trespass.
(1) A person commits the crime of second degree criminal trespass if such person:
(a) Unlawfully enters or remains in or upon the premises of another which are enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders or are fenced; or
(b) Knowingly and unlawfully enters or remains in or upon the common areas of a hotel, motel, condominium, or apartment building; or
(c) Knowingly and unlawfully enters or remains in a motor vehicle of another.
(2) Second degree criminal trespass is a class 3 misdemeanor, but:
(a) It is a class 2 misdemeanor if the premises have been classified by the county assessor for the county in which the land is situated as agricultural land pursuant to section 39-1-102 (1.6), C.R.S.; and
(b) It is a class 4 felony if the person trespasses on premises so classified as agricultural land with the intent to commit a felony thereon.
(3) Whenever a person is convicted of, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, receives a deferred judgment or sentence for, or is adjudicated a juvenile delinquent for, a violation of paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of this section, the offender's driver's license shall be revoked as provided in section 42-2-125, C.R.S.

18-4-504. Third degree criminal trespass.
(1) A person commits the crime of third degree criminal trespass if such person unlawfully enters or remains in or upon premises of another.
(2) Third degree criminal trespass is a class 1 petty offense, but:
(a) It is a class 3 misdemeanor if the premises have been classified by the county assessor for the county in which the land is situated as agricultural land pursuant to section 39-1-102 (1.6), C.R.S.; and
(b) It is a class 5 felony if the person trespasses on premises so classified as agricultural land with the intent to commit a felony thereon.

18-4-201. Definitions.
As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Premises" means any real estate and all improvements erected thereon.
(2) "Separate building" means each unit of a building consisting of two or more units separately secured or occupied.
(3) A person "enters unlawfully" or "remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when the person is not licensed, invited, or otherwise privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of his or her intent, enters or remains in or upon premises that are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege unless the person defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him or her by the owner of the premises or some other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building that is only partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building that is not open to the public. Except as is otherwise provided in section 33-6-116 (1), C.R.S., a person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land that is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to the person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person or unless notice forbidding entry is given by posting with signs at intervals of not more than four hundred forty yards or, if there is a readily identifiable entrance to the land, by posting with signs at such entrance to the private land or the forbidden part of the land.

33-6-116. Hunting, trapping, or fishing on private property - posting public lands.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter upon privately owned land or lands under the control of the state board of land commissioners to hunt or take any wildlife by hunting, trapping, or fishing without first obtaining permission from the owner or person in possession of such land.
(2) It is unlawful for any person to post, sign, or indicate that any public lands within this state, not held under an exclusive control lease, are privately owned lands.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.

You might also check the Colorado River Outfitters Association for more information about Right to Float. Some of the info is from 2001? but may be worth a look. http://www.croa.org/right-to-float.htm

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
excelent post thanks

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
33-6-116. Hunting, trapping, or fishing on private property - posting public lands.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter upon privately owned land or lands under the control of the state board of land commissioners to hunt or take any wildlife by hunting, trapping, or fishing without first obtaining permission from the owner or person in possession of such land.
notice it just says privatly owned land... nothing about "posted land"

a hundred bucks anit much but 20 points that could hurt!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
notice it just says privatly owned land... nothing about "posted land"

a hundred bucks anit much but 20 points that could hurt!
Yeah its one of those you have to be a lawyer to understand things... this is where I was getting my info as... but I guys if your fishing there you have to know? But if your just walking or hiking you dont? I dont know.
Except as is otherwise provided in section 33-6-116 (1), C.R.S., a person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land that is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to the person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person or unless notice forbidding entry is given by posting with signs at intervals of not more than four hundred forty yards or, if there is a readily identifiable entrance to the land, by posting with signs at such entrance to the private land or the forbidden part of the land.
Who know!!!! I still say find someone in the condo to take fishing. :p

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sounds like if your not hunting/fishing you get 1 warning but after you been told then if you are still there or come back your busted it does kinda seam like a double standard but there are many things that we as licensed fisher/hunters must know before pursuing or sport

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where is ice ...jk ....I'm not gonna fish there without permission its just sad I used to fish this area without anyone around . I wonder how many times giles alkire or other older fisherman have encounterd this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts