Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took a trip to stock up on some salmon. Found some schools in front of the iron works, schools 10-20 thick, no monster schools. Myself and buddy were able to put 6 in the boat. Allot of talk around the lake about the gill lice. We checked the ones we caught and they are loaded with them. Some 11 mile friends were over recently and said this is how 11 mile started, fish on the screen but few biters, to oxygen deprived to waste energy chasing a lure. Not a good long term outlook, if I was a guide on Blue Mesa I think I would be looking for good side hustle. I guess we will have to buy salmon at Safeway this winter. :mad:
none the less a nice day on the water, this retirement stuff is OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Man, that sucks. Good thing we've been protecting these fish from "veracious" lake trout (sarcasm). It seems no lake in Colorado with kokanee can avoid gill lice. Almost every lake holding these fish have dealt with this issue.

Remember a couple of years ago with CPW netted and killed dozens, if not hundreds, of large mature lakers in BM to help koke populations. It looks like that was all for not. If the problem persists they will have to stop stocking like GMR, let all of the existing fish die, and hope that the lice die with them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, that sucks. Good thing we've been protecting these fish from "veracious" lake trout (sarcasm). It seems no lake in Colorado with kokanee can avoid gill lice. Almost every lake holding these fish have dealt with this issue.

Remember a couple of years ago with CPW netted and killed dozens, if not hundreds, of large mature lakers in BM to help koke populations. It looks like that was all for not. If the problem persists they will have to stop stocking like GMR, let all of the existing fish die, and hope that the lice die with them.
they have been netting spring and fall since 2010 I believe, last fall and this spring got a break because of water levels. Yup going to have to find new kokanee brood lake and hatchery. Gill lice , Mysis shrimps when your playing god in these man made lakes things turn up.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Just hafta switch to catching perch. Bob I'm retired next February. Looking to fish Powell next spring. Know a good guide?;D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Just hafta switch to catching perch. Bob I'm retired next February. Looking to fish Powell next spring. Know a good guide?;D
Daily fishing reports starting in February then? ;D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It's the least I could do---;D
The least you could do to make us wish we weren't in the office. I have friends like that. And I do it too sometimes. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The whole thing is hard to understand and quite disturbing, at least the thought process of the DOW to eradicate mackinaw in support of a parasite infected/susceptible species?

I am probably ignorant to the real issues, but man what a bad situation.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Man, that's tough to hear Bobco... thanks for the info. We may be up next weekend.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That sucks about the Gill Lice... I have never done well for Kokes in Colorado. I go to Wyoming for Kokes... Glad you got into a few though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just saw this on CPW website. looks like gill lice are on the climb ,bummer.2016 16% 1/samon,2017 68% 2/salmon, 2018 87% 9/salmon. makes you wonder how many did not make it to hatchery? How would you know, sink to bottom and get devoured by the lake trout.

Blue Mesa the states largest salmon producer. It has produced runs of 17 million eggs. During the drought of 2012-13 they suffered from a large algae bloom which reduced the egg take to 3 million eggs. In 2016 they cut the daily salmon limit in ½. That year they had 17 million eggs. In 2016 Gill lice were found in 9% of the salmon with an average of 1/salmon. In 2017 the 68% of the salmon in the run had gill lice with an average of 2/fish. The run produced 16.7 million eggs. In 2018 87% of the salmon had gill lice with an average of 9/fish.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I guess the laker fishing is going to get real good! Sucks though... that hurts to read.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the laker fishing is going to get real good! Sucks though... that hurts to read.
without kokanee you cannot have a good lake trout lake, look at those skinny girls at Granby, kokanee snacks are what lakers need.:thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts