Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

The boy's first camping trip

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Oyey 
#1 ·
Sorry I haven't been on alot lately. Been alot going on out here. I hear there was a thread started to celebrate my absence. LOL!!!

Anyway, here's a quick fishing/camping thread.

Well, we went camping..... didn't go to the most remote or exotic place in the world, but we got to go, and that was awesome.

Day started off beautiful... We set up the tent, got our camping gear set out, and then got some lines in the water!

All that fishing got us hungry!!! So we went back to camp and my son cooked us some corned beef hash and eggs on the camping stove while I got out some catfish rods.

Never would have thought he would have liked corned beef hash!!! But he freakin devoured it.

After lunch, we found some good fish...

That big bass was flippin' delicious.....

Caught a bunch of small greenies and greenie hybrids... along with some honker bluegills (which were delicious) It was really a mixed bag this trip!

A few made it onto the catfish rods to try and catch a beast.... but sadly, no cats were interested.

Caught several of these 8-10 inch bass, one swallowed the hook, the other little bass were released.

One bad casualty.... lost my new Eagle Claw featherweight... My son decided to try and recover his hook from a log, so he stood on the rod shaft and pulled on the line.... SNAP!

Such is life.....

When the sun got too high and hot to fish, the boy decided to get some swimming in!!!

He swam for about an hour... Pulled hundreds of small clam-shells out of the water.... He wanted to bring them home. :)

While he was doing that, I got our firepit set up and ready to go for a good fire and S'Mores.

As the sun started to set, we got the fire going, got out the marshmallows, chocolate and grahams, and wouldn'tya know it?! My wife and daughters came all the way out to have S'Mores with us!!!

Daisy loved hers.... her first. My son loved his as well. Good times were had by all.

They came and went... were out for less than an hour and a half, but it was great to see them.

THEN.... NIGHT FELL.... and no catfish hit my cat rods. Sad sad sad.

***To be continued***

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyway, the next morning (this morning) we got up, and my son was filthy... but he was hungry and had such a good time cooking the corned beef hash yesterday, he decided he wanted to cook breakfast... BACON AND EGGS!!!!

After the excellent breakfast, we broke down camp... Buck broke down the tent, and (because he did such a great job camping on his very first trip) I gave him my old tent as a "growing up" present.

And... as my grandpa and my dad taught me since I was my son's age.... The #1 rule of primitive camping:

***ALWAYS LEAVE IT CLEANER THAN YOU FOUND IT (and with more firewood also... if you can)!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....And so we did.

#11 ·
Love smores..bacon and eggs and corn beef hash. They grow up fast...Like I told Boon..They'll probably only live at home for twenty to thirty years.. Enjoy them while you can. Looks like a good time camping..cooking out..and some fine memories.

Looking forward to hearing about some future boating excursions..

#12 ·
Thanks all. :)

Hopefully we will get the boat out again soon.... Only had it out twice since I bought it. That part sucks, but it sure looks nice sitting under the car port. ;)

As to the making memories side of things... I decided a few years ago that my goal with my kids is to create a "snapshot childhood" of sorts. Have some really potent events documented in pictures along with some seriously intense lessons. For instance, on this camping trip, it would have been much easier to put the tent up myself, do all the cooking, etc... BUT--- making my son participate in all the chores and taking pictures of it, followed by praise and encouragement, made the trip more than a two day fishing trip. When we got home, he wasnt bragging about the fish he caught... He was bragging about cooking hash and eggs.

Last night, home in his own bed, when I was telling him goodnight-- he was truly happy and proud. So was I. When he is grown and leaves for whatever life has in store, he will take with him snapshots from his childhood... The past two days, I hope, will stick with him in some small way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.