Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for some variety for some of you, Four Mile Run is right down the street from my house. It is a tributary of the Potomac River. It is also a sewage/storm drain with body contact warnings monthly. With all the rain of late, it was a couple feet higher than normal as well, but when life gives you lemons...make a sidecar.
About 12 bass today flipping the flooded brush and grass along the banks, biggest would be a solid 3.5 with mostly 1-2 lb fish. When the shoreline floods they like to nose around the brush and grass and see what comes out so most strikes came on the edge of the grass/brush. The veg is starting to grow in so green pumpkin on the Northstar jig with some blue, and matching brush hawg trailer. I wholeheartedly recommend Northstar jigs for those of you that do use jigs; their hair jigs should be deadly at Aurora. But to the point: I got this Northern Snakehead of probably about 7 lbs out of one of the brushpiles, heck of a fun fish, alot like pike. I hope to be back in CO early next year if our uncle agrees to it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
VolFan said:
So for some variety for some of you, Four Mile Run is right down the street from my house. It is a tributary of the Potomac River. It is also a sewage/storm drain with body contact warnings monthly. With all the rain of late, it was a couple feet higher than normal as well, but when life gives you lemons...make a sidecar.
About 12 bass today flipping the flooded brush and grass along the banks, biggest would be a solid 3.5 with mostly 1-2 lb fish. When the shoreline floods they like to nose around the brush and grass and see what comes out so most strikes came on the edge of the grass/brush. The veg is starting to grow in so green pumpkin on the Northstar jig with some blue, and matching brush hawg trailer. I wholeheartedly recommend Northstar jigs for those of you that do use jigs; their hair jigs should be deadly at Aurora. But to the point: I got this Northern Snakehead of probably about 7 lbs out of one of the brushpiles, heck of a fun fish, alot like pike. I hope to be back in CO early next year if our uncle agrees to it.
I hate to see another invasive; but snakeheads DO look like hella fun to catch... :-\ Post up some pix foo'... ;D

SS

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Nice report, Greg. How's the family?

Would love to see pics of the snakehead... heard they're a fun fight...

Will look for Northstar jigs... where are you picking yours up at? Online?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet and meaty, kind of like lobster. My schedule precluded me from taking this one home, but they are tasty.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Those are cool looking fish! Sorta like a bowfin. :p

Like I said, hate to see another exotic, but if they find their way over to these parts I will chase them!

SS ;D

W

·
0 Posts
ElPasoCounty said:
I hear snakehead is pretty good eating...
I understand that much of their illegal introduction in the U.S. was traced to purchases of live specimens from Asian food stores and later released.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer the questions:
1a. Yes I caught a snakehead.
1b. Yes, it was/is in Virginia, where the Potomac, the capital and the Capitol are. Colorado's fisheries are safe.
2. I do get the Northsatr jigs online from their website. Trying tostay away from a blatant advertisement, but the jigs are well put-together and a pretty good price.
3. Nancy, we're doing well, thanks for asking. Will turned 1 last week and I would've had him in the picture but he was riding in my backpack. He though the whole thing was hilarious though. You guys still in the same place? We're coming back to the neighborhood if I get this transsfer back worked out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm terrified of snakes... I pray I never catch one of those, I'll have a heart attack

·
Registered
172 Posts
nice area to fish at in VA, but i would never eat anything i catch outta there.....i used to catch some monster catfish out that place a bit further south though..... thanks for the pics too i have never seen anyone catch the snake heads...cool looking fish

1 - 18 of 18 Posts