Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gout was once coined as the rich man's disease. Only they could afford a diet rich in meats, alcohol and seas food associated with the disease. These days in America, the average man is just as likely to get gout due to the readily accessible high calorie foods. Actually, studies show that less well off folks are more likely to be overweight than rich folks... I never had much sympathy for people with gout, until I got it myself. When I saw poeple with gout, my thoughts were: it can't be that painful; Just tough it up; or get off your butt and get healthy, man... Now, I can tell you it is painful as hell. And it's not easy to get up and be healthy when you have your gout flares up.

Anyhoo, my gout flared up last week. I had been limping since Tuesday, but I wasn't going to let that stop me from going on a trip I had planned for months. There were only two potential reasons why I had another gout attack. First, I had not fished for 3 weeks. Other than fishing and some softcore weight lifting, I do not exercise much. I had four IPAs the previous weekend and had not had any alcoholic beverage in the two weeks prior to that. I rarely drink by myself, saving the precious liquids for fishing trips with friends or social gatherings.

When we got to the lake, my gout attack was worse than in the previous days. Walking on a rocky dam was not easy, to say the least. Hell, even walking on softer and more even ground was hard! But I toughed it up. Maybe the Jameson helped ease the pain... I stayed away from the beers, but nothing was going to stop me from enjoying that steak. By the end of the trip, my gout was a lot better. So, to my fellow gout sufferers, I say: get up and fish!

Nephew and his catch:

Friend and his catch:

The poor, fat man and his catch:

Six hours worth of fishing (out of 20 hours):

Asleep on the job:

Note: putting on the waders was a major PITA!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I know those sticks! :D

Sucks about the gout, looks like toughing it out was well worth it, though!
Man, I almost quit while trying to put the waders on... Then I almost quit again walking down to the shoreline. That extra pressure from the waders on my foot was intense.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very cool, Linh! Sucks about the gout, I know a few folks with it and they suffer horribly when it flairs. IPA's and Jameson, I knew I liked you!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Have not had it but heard it sucks. Used to make fun of hemorrhoids until I had one....
Great job hanging tough; looks like it was well worth it :)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man AO, you are one lucky guy being able to take so many fishing trips!
I am lucky to have a wife that let's me go fishing pretty much whenever I want and a job that doesn't take more that doesn't require more than 40 hours per week (except on very rare occasions), which gives me time to pursue my fishing interests.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very cool, Linh! Sucks about the gout, I know a few folks with it and they suffer horribly when it flairs. IPA's and Jameson, I knew I liked you!
Cool. :cool:8)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts