Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I am lucky to have a wife that let's me go fishing pretty much whenever I want and a job that doesn't take more that doesn't require more than 40 hours per week (except on very rare occasions), which gives me time to pursue my fishing interests.
I already have an amazing girlfriend... I need a new job (50-60 hrs a week year round sucks!)

· Registered
2,180 Posts
I don't have it as bad as you. It only affects my foot, from the two bigger toes to about half way through the foot. If you "must" drink, try hard liquor only, and cut the beer out. That seems to work for most people with gout.
Not much of a beer drinker but occasionally will down a few.
Last weekend was vodka for the most part Had a glass or two of wine but I think it was more of three nights of heavy vodka drinking that caused my flair up. And poor diet trying to recover each morning.

If I feel a flair up coming I will hit it hard with ibuprofen and that helps a bunch but I don't recommend it if you plan on drinking booze of any sort while taking a large dose of ibuprofen.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
I doubt slayer is on Facebook.
I was thinking you might have posted on that other forum.

That was a my plan to get you drunk so you'd pass out and I could finally catch a fish.
You failed miserably then. One sip of orange vodka ain't gonna do it... And passing out from lack of sleep ain't the same as passing out from being drunk. ;)

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If I feel a flair up coming I will hit it hard with ibuprofen and that helps a bunch but I don't recommend it if you plan on drinking booze of any sort while taking a large dose of ibuprofen.
I don't do Ibuprofen. Someone did offer something like that on the trip. In general, I stay away from medicine as much as possible.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
(50-60 hrs a week year round sucks!)
Yeah, that's rough. I never had a job that required 50-60 hours per week consistently. There were times when I did do 50+ hours occasionally at m previous job, maybe even 60 hours on rare occasions. Not that I wouldn't put in long hours but, given a choice, I'd rather not.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't do Ibuprofen. Someone did offer something like that on the trip. In general, I stay away from medicine as much as possible.
So great, drink cherry juice (it works) and stay away from any and alcohol and minimize your protein. Organ meats are the worst: brain, liver, rocky mountain oysters. . .

But overdoing protein like steak, chicken or seafood can bring on a flare too. If you can be consistent with lifestyle changes you can minimize your uric acid levels. But man, you can't change your genetics or your aging kidneys.

Uric acid crystals are like glass needles -- sharp microscopic shards that come out of solution (like making rock candy with a supersaturated solution of sugar and a string) and they set up in your joints, especially with a drop in temp, like in fingers and toes. Your body responds with white blood cells which try to engulf and destroy what they see as a foreign body, like a wooden splinter. But the crystals are like inorganic shards and they WBCs will break open spilling their digestive enzymes into your joint spaces. The inflammatory response is tremendous and the result is redness, swelling soft tissue congestion and exquisite pain. I remember not being able sleep with a sheet over my foot because the weight of it was was too painful, and if a breeze came across the room and hit my big toe the pain would me up and about sent me through the roof. I had flares that would last about ten days when I treated with anti-inflammatories, got to be more often over a few years in my mid 30's before I figured it out.

When you have symptoms in your toe you've probably had sustained uric acid levels for a long time that are way too high and you'll have crystals building up in your larger joints as well -- shoulders, hips, knees, fingers. . . Untreated the degenerative changes associated with the process can cripple you badly when you get older. Not to mention damage to your kidneys from uric acid stones. I take Allopurinol 300mg every day with no problems. Probably for 25 years now. It took a couple of years before I stopped getting flares (takes a while to wash the buildup of crystals out of your system). The list of potential side effects is long and this medication isn't for everybody. Another alternative is Uloric, safer but expensive. So like I said, talk to your doctor. Best of luck to you, however you decide to treat. :)

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
But the crystals are like inorganic shards and they WBCs will break open spilling their digestive enzymes into your joint spaces. The inflammatory response is tremendous and the result is redness, swelling soft tissue congestion and exquisite pain.
You didn't have to describe it in such gory details...:D But I understand what you are doing here and thank you for it. I actually didn't know why it was so painful. Now I understand why the area affected by gout would first turn red, then black: dead tissues/cells. Your comment regarding potential damage to the kidneys also serves as a big wake up call for me. I thought gout was just a rather minor annoyance (pain and reduced mobility but not life threatening). My father died of kidney failure, and he wasn't a drinker.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.