Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the new kayak out on its maiden voyage today.

Got to Pueblo at around 3:30 and was fishing by 4:00. Water temp was a balmy 73.8 degrees. Signs of thunderboomers were everywhere, but I didn't care. It was going to happen... I was going to get to fish from my own fishing craft without having to blow it up with air.

After an initial wobbly entry into the yak; I puttered around the South boat ramp area figuring out how the trolling motor work and how to properly face my transducer :eek:( I don't do the instruction booklet reading to well). After about 10 minutes everything fell into place and the fishing was on.

Got into some nice smallies on Rattle Traps in about 15' of water and then the walleye bite seemed non-stop for the next 3 hours. I caught and released 15 or so of the same 17.25"-17.75" walleyes I've caught for years in Pueblo (seems to me like they would've grown over the last 5 years while I was away.):) But, catching fish sure beats working. Overall it was a great afternoon of relearning color patterns and practicing new techniques. Most fish were suspended just off of "humps" in about 25'-30' feet of water and were hitting Flicker Shad pretty aggressively. The bite was in high gear when I left just after dark.

As for my new toy; I will say that the Old Town Predator XL has plenty of power with the Minn Kota Drive. I trolled non-stop except for a few times that I changed lures and the battery still has over half a charge left. Got into some choppy water and never felt unbalance one bit. The only negative I can speak of would be the 13' doesn't have as much storage as the Hobie I looked at, but with a few crates in the back I can remedy that. Plus the Old Town was about $1,000 cheaper and included the trolling motor.

One things for sure; Dreams do come true if you work long enough and hard enough....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Congratulations on your new toy and great job on putting in the hard work and time to save and get something that you have dreamt about for sometime.

What a great way to break the new yak in. It didn't go home smelling like skunk. Best of luck to you and I hope you have many more great times in the new yak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts