Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some friends on lake so I jumped in for ride. Played bumper boats with all the kokanee fleet. Interesting crowd as always. Limited out by11 , used realbait 1 oz plane Jane spoons tipped with corn. I think it is now official every one in gunnison is a blue Mesa kokanee guide!

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
First picture reminds me of the flotilla at Oregon City when the steelhead and salmon were running. Not sure how any fish ever got to the falls or in this case, the mouth of the river.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've played that game before. Nice crop of kokes this year. Looks like the reduced limit is working.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've played that game before. Nice crop of kokes this year. Looks like the reduced limit is working.
I would say the 8 years of killing lake trout spring and fall by the CPW
death fleet has had more of an effect. still the same old group out there every day after day,not to mention the guides doing morning and after noon trips, never seen so many guides anywhere .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I would say the 8 years of killing lake trout spring and fall by the CPW
death fleet has had more of an effect. still the same old group out there every day after day,not to mention the guides doing morning and after noon trips, never seen so many guides anywhere .
Sorry - I forgot about open season on lakers at BM. You're probably right. That just means the perch explosion will become the next problem.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I personally know a guy who "guides" trips there. He posts on Facebook at least 3x/week. Always 4-5 limits on the table of death. But, The DOW will continue to tell you the Koke population is affected by the Lake trout. Has nothing to do with the hundreds of fish being killed there daily by greedy fisherman.

Rhetorical question. Does the DOW enforce possession limits?:'(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, I had no clue that fishing at BM was worse than the Kenai in June.

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, but is there only one school of Kokanee on the lake so everyone is on the same spot?

Would seem more like grocery shopping or a visit to the DMV than a day at the lake.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Wow, I had no clue that fishing at BM was worse than the Kenai in June.

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, but is there only one school of Kokanee on the lake so everyone is on the same spot?

Would seem more like grocery shopping or a visit to the DMV than a day at the lake.

They school up and if you're on top of them you can jig. The school moves around a bit but if you're not over them you just won't catch much. Sure there are occasional scattered fish around and you can troll the area but you'll catch one or two fish a day for your efforts. If you are over them you'll get a chance to get your limit of five each and head to the cleaning station.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I personally know a guy who "guides" trips there. He posts on Facebook at least 3x/week. Always 4-5 limits on the table of death. But, The DOW will continue to tell you the Koke population is affected by the Lake trout. Has nothing to do with the hundreds of fish being killed there daily by greedy fisherman.

Rhetorical question. Does the DOW enforce possession limits?:'(

Ok it's a rhetorical question but I'll say that I have seen fairly consistent DOW presence at the cleaning stations and there are DOW cameras there this year also.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I guess I'm different.
There's not a fish on the planet that makes me want to play bumper boats to get one.
Plus I'd rather spend my time on the lake than behind the windshield so BM is to much driving for me.

:)

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Ok it's a rhetorical question but I'll say that I have seen fairly consistent DOW presence at the cleaning stations and there are DOW cameras there this year also.
That's all fine and good. That's checking daily limits. I'm talking about possession limits. The possession limit is 10. That means no more than 10 salmon in your possession. How many people bring their 5 home, or in coolers and continue for a number of days. Thus going over their possession limit?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That's all fine and good. That's checking daily limits. I'm talking about possession limits. The possession limit is 10. That means no more than 10 salmon in your possession. How many people bring their 5 home, or in coolers and continue for a number of days. Thus going over their possession limit?
That's all fine and good as well... BUT... they had better have a warrant if they come to search a freezer. Therein lies the rub.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts