Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing a pond in Boulder yesterday and the strangest thing happened. I was fly fishing with a popper and spotted a 10" largemouth swimming in about 1 foot of water. Figuring that any bass is better than no bass, I cast out there several times. This bass was agressive, but took little interest in my popper.

At one point the bass noticed a large dragonfly crusing along about 6 inches above the water. The bass jumped directly over my popper and caught the dragonfly in mid air. Simply amazing. Of course this really &^%^$ me off because it wasn't that agressive with anything I threw to it. Oh well.

-David K

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've had 'em do to with spinnerbaits-its like they spot the lure coming down and time it just like an outfielder in baseball. Ed

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have a story about this. doesnt exactly relate. my family and i wnet to new york a few years ago. while we were there we stayed in a lake resort type place. around the dock there were tons fo small fish (dotn remember what they were). when i was carrying my pole with a fly back, i noticed the fish would follow the fly. so i played wiht them for a while. i decided to ptu the fly on teh surface and catch one. i was about 3 inches from teh surface and these fish started jumping for the fly. my sister loved it and would play with those fish the whoel time i was fsihing off the end of the dock. except when she caught a fish, i had to run down teh dock and take it off for her.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
David, it just seems that the fly you were using probably was not a natural food source in that lake at that time. If you used a fly that mimiced something the bass was chasing like the dragon fly you would have had a better chance I think.
But it is still fun to watch a bass explode out of the water after something.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I remember quite a few years ago fishing near the Fourth of July Campground by Eldora. My brother and me were walking along the stream and came upon this pool with a cloud of caddis flies above it. Every thirty seconds or so, this nine inch brooky would jump close to a foot out of the water trying to get the caddis flies. It was pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
680 Posts
your kidding right
im amazed how fast they hit it when it lands in water. but catch it in mid-air??!?! thats simply mind-boggling :eek:
although i was wondering once if a bass could get those dragonflies
maybe you just ushered in a new stlye of fishing! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts