Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

What kind of impact does the internet have on fishing?

• The internet is great for fishing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If used appropriately, the internet can improve fishing

• The internet has no impact on fishing

• When information is abused, the internet can be negative for fishing

• The internet ruins fishing altogether

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this seems to be a highly debated topic, what do you think the internet does for fishing? ???

Add your reasoning below...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Should allow to select 2 options IMO.

I'd like to select:

If used appropriately, the internet can improve fishing

(Teach C&R and/or selective harvest/ Makes anglers aware of whats going on with the DOW/makes anglers aware if they have broken a law and didnt know it, ect)

I personally didn't know much about Selective harvest until i joined the site. now I know a lot more about SH and C&R and why people choose to do so on certain waters.

AND

When information is abused, the internet can be negative for fishing
(This one is obvious.. Especially can have a devastating effect on smaller bodies of waters)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
RVinson said:
Should allow to select 2 options IMO.

I'd like to select:

If used appropriately, the internet can improve fishing

(Teach C&R and/or selective harvest/ Makes anglers aware of whats going on with the DOW/makes anglers aware if they have broken a law and didnt know it, ect)

AND

When information is abused, the internet can be negative for fishing
(This one is obvious.. Especially can have a devastating effect on smaller bodies of waters)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly my thoughts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
In theory it is good for fishing, but in reality it is bad for fishing.

And on sites like this you get the trolls trying to bully people or C&R debates in a report ruining it.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The biggest positive of the internet is the opportunity to meet and become friends with like minded individuals. I've made some great friends I never would have met but for internet fishing sites.

The downside is the hot-spotting and trophy killing that results from instant access to information by everyone. Fisheries are being trashed as a result. Most of us have witnessed it.

So, for me it's a love-hate relationship.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
theo9805 said:
for those of you that think the internet ruins fishing all together, i'd like to know why are you on this site. you think it's a problem, yet you're contributing to it? not bashing, just trying to understand :/
I'm not one that thinks it ruins altogether.....but you might wanna read this:
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=60667.0

That aught to enlighten you a tad :D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It just gives didlos a shortcut to ruin spots.... Just be careful when you post and if you have to post on a small body of water blur out the backround and change the name of the picture. If someone right clicks your picture to save it and it's titled (insert awesome little pond gem spot right here) instead of a generic lake name then bam you've unknowingly given up your spot.

Another thing for you Master Angler buffs. If you don't want to give your spot away just put private or adams county pond etc... There's a lot of us that look at that list all the time just waiting for a new spot to pop up.

Better yet just message me with the post first I'll edit it then throw it out here ;D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
All you have to do is google a name of a lake you want to fish and free info on how to fish that lake comes up, I wish both FXR and CF would make so you would have to sign in instead of google to get info. That won't happen any time soon on either site when money is involved. It make it much easier for lurkers, aka lazy fisherman to find fish, litter, poach, or what ever they want. My vote was bad for fishing.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I don't think it "ruins" fishing altogether, but it definitely takes it's tolls on the resources. People are aware and find out about places they never would have known without some serious legwork and gasoline. Front rangers are willing to drive some serious miles to get to a "hot spot"!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ogerswalleye said:
All you have to do is google a name of a lake you want to fish and free info on how to fish that lake comes up, I wish both FXR and CF would make so you would have to sign in instead of google to get info. That won't happen any time soon on either site when money is involved. It make it much easier for lurkers, aka lazy fisherman to find fish, litter, poach, or what ever they want. My vote was bad for fishing.
I agree most with this post - information is too readily available for the taking. Just look how many unique "guests" are browsing this site at any given time...

But the power of the internet could also be used for good as well - by educating the masses on DOW regulations, selective harvest, C&R tactics, picking up your trash... etc.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
ive seen it impact spots where i fish , i dont post at all , my brother does and i keep telling him not to , i dont like company when im fishing >:D unless i know u

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
kokaneeking said:
ive seen it impact spots where i fish , i dont post at all , my brother does and i keep telling him not to , i dont like company when im fishing >:D unless i know u
Hey, I know you! :D You, of everyone I have met on this forum, help more people out than anyone I know while you are fishing. You even give them the lure/jig that is working. Truly commendable. And you and Brian are what keeps me fishing. (altho you have given up on icefishing too soon,)

The internet is a powerful tool. Every state has some type of forum on fishing. Get used to it, I guess.
20 years ago, we had to go fishing to find fish. This is 2011. :D Selective posting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It doesn't impact me...Doesn't matter if you post your spot ,what u used or when. I am not gonna copy you, i have my own ways and when and how I fish. I go for my own enjoyment.

You can have a kill slab and i don't care!!! I keep what i want when I want and practice catch and release most of the time...if you handed me the keys to the car and said take it for long haul, what fun is that.

I go for myself and my enjoyment and to master my own skills...not copy and use everyone else's tactics...I create my own painting, not copies of everyone else's portraits... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Like most things, there are good and bad aspects of the 'net.

A lot of people are fairly good anglers these days, and it is partly the result of the critical mass of information that is available to the angling public. I know that I for one have made use of it. I am hip to what other fisherman are doing in other countries, and there is simply no way that that would be the case if it were not for the 'net.

Having said that, I am not about to hotspot. I would rather put a hot poker in my eye.

SS

1 - 20 of 47 Posts