Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not aimed at anybody at all, but I'm wondering if the use of an apostrophe to denote possession or a contraction is going the way of the dodo bird. I've noticed that I see apostrophes used less and less now that we're doing the majority of our everyday nonverbal communcation with computers or cellphones, as opposed to writing or typing on paper.

Some of the people that work with me regularly don't use apostrophes, and I've been consistent in reminding them when reviewing their written products. Is it a lost cause, and is the apostrophe destined to become a punctuation antiquity?

I hope nobody takes offense at the extremely controversial right wing tenor of this thread.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...
"Your" instead of "You're"? Thanks, Kenny, for weighing in and stepping up to be Exhibit A! Talk about being a contributor!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm about to take the cell phone away from my 14 year-old for this reason. The texts he sends me are sometimes painful to read! :mad:

I don't care so much about what I read on a message board, but when it comes from my own children, well, it's a little disappointing....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Having taught LA for years, the most common mistake involving the apostrophe that I see, not just with young people but with adults too, concerns the contraction "it's". Whereas usually an apostrophe is added in order to show possession (FunkMaster's fly pattern), such is not the case here. Rather the only use of the apostrophe in connection with the word "it" is to contract "it" and "is" together.

Some examples:

"It's getting close to ice fishing season." (correct; IOW, "It is getting close ...")
"Its getting close to ice fishing season." (incorrect)

"I love the mountain bluebird, its color is so vivid." (correct; no apostrophe to show possession)
"I love the mountain bluebird, it's color is so vivid." (incorrect; you wouldn't say "... it is color so vivid.")

Get it? It's all about knowing its proper usage! ;D

Hope it makes sense to someone. Class dismissed.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...
"Your" instead of "You're"? Thanks, Kenny, for weighing in and stepping up to be Exhibit A! Talk about being a contributor!
There is a difference between those 2. Your is "belonging to you".......the other is a contraction(the joining of 2 words), in this case You, and Are........You're.............

As far as the subject.......in this day and age of texting, who wants to take the time to put in an apostrophe??

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deuceu72 said:
As far as the subject.......in this day and age of texting, who wants to take the time to put in an apostrophe??
It's a hassle on my Blackberry because I have to do extra keystrokes to change the on screen keyboard back and forth. I do it anyway, though.

·
Registered
832 Posts
sswan said:
Deuceu72 said:
It's a hassle on my Blackberry because I have to do extra keystrokes to change the on screen keyboard back and forth. I do it anyway, though.
AMEN! The whole "Sent from my Blackberry, please excuse typos" is such a cop-out!

I try to get it right, or not send it at all.

:)

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...
There is a difference between those 2. Your is "belonging to you".......the other is a contraction(the joining of 2 words), in this case You, and Are........You're.............

I know the difference. I was trying to be funny.

I constantly correct my son with his texts. He said to me once, "it's not like it matters". I told him it does, and if he gets into the habit of spelling like he texts, he'll make himself look like an idoit when it does matter. i.e. At work... :-\

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...

I constantly correct my son with his texts. He said to me once, "it's not like it matters". I told him it does, and if he gets into the habit of spelling like he texts, he'll make himself look like an idoit when it does matter. i.e. At work... :-\
Wasnt trying to offend Wiggles..........Just trying to help. ;D

Oh, and it's "idiot." ;D

Now we're even on the corrections. ;D ;D ;D ( This is my attempt at humor) Just an FYI.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...

Oh, and it's "idiot." ;D

Now we're even on the corrections. ;D ;D ;D ( This is my attempt at humor) Just an FYI.
LOL! Wasn't offended. And touche...(I think, I suck at spelling) :D :D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...

Oh, and it's "idiot." ;D

Correct!!! Although there might be an apostrophe in there over the "e". ;D ;D

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...

Oh, and it's "idiot." ;D

I believe that would be an accent, above and forward of... ;D :D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Deuceu72 said:
sswan said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...

Oh, and it's "idiot." ;D

I believe that would be an accent, above and forward of... ;D :D
Haha!!! Yessir!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Full disclosure--Kenny sent me a PM about his first post in this thread before I posted a reply to it. As I told him in a PM back, his post was just too good not to leverage!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Your retarded SS...

There all spelling everything the way it sounds...

Who needs punctuation?

:D
So - I see the corrections on your but none on there....interesting

And yes - I realize this was typed in fun....

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was a water ballon that Kenny threw, including "There." It was all in his PM he sent me at the same time.

I played this a little wrong. I shouldn't have replied to his original post and instead should have just let him shoot 3s.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts